Arizona Cow Elk Hunt

RedRabbit

The second night of the season, the bulls were bugling around camp again, so Clover my GWP, and I walked a mile from camp to sit an opening in hopes of catching some elk crossing towards their bedding area. About 15 minutes after sunrise, a cow and her calf ran across behind some small pines about 300 yards away, but no shot opportunity arose. Several minutes later, another cow entered the clearing and was angling towards us. While waiting for her to clear a small cluster of pines, another single cow appeared much closer about 100 yards away. As she walked into an opening between two trees, a quick cow vocalization stopped her which allowed for a quick shot behind the shoulder. The cow ran about 40 yards before circling and tipping over.

After gathering up the gun and pack and heading to the elk, Clover got to supervise the field dressing of her first elk. The 124 grain Hammer hunter bullet from the 6.5 WSM entered about 2/3 of the way up the chest, through some muscle on the back of the shoulder, though an onside rib, though an offside rib and scapula, and exited. Meat loss was minimal around the bullet path. One of the petals of the bullet was found under the far side hide. As the gutless method of dressing was used, the internal trauma was not checked.

Attachments

• Ed1200-20201017_080807.jpg
    Ed1200-20201017_080807.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 219
Congrats, I popped mine in 5b South at 47 yards with my 6.5CM. took 10 steps. Really good eating. Love the bulls but prefer the cows for taste.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.