Any of you ever used a Hornady 162 gr SST in a .280 Rem?

I used em in my 7mag. They where accurate, made my longest shot with em called it no less. But as for terminal performance. The only animals that dropped to the shot where hit in the head or spinal column and I never one time recovered an intact bullet, didn't matter the range the core separated every time. Animals reactions went from taking off running like hell to not even a flinch. So if you want to use them their accurate as all getout, but you'll need to pick your shots. Myself if I wanted to do that I would hunt elk with my 243.

I have loaded them for the past 10+ years in my 7mag @ 2950fps. I've had nothing but great results from them, both in accuracy and terminal performance. Can't think of a single time one failed to give me a complete pass through and destroyed every shoulder (deer) I have hit with them. I have shot deer from 20-500+ yards and most hit the ground immediately. I did load the 139's for a year and had them come apart on deer, same with the 154's.

I can't speak specifically about the 7mm bullet but I have used them in the 25-06 and 6.5x55 with excellent results. The animals that have ran, didn't make far enough to matter.

Yes I use them in a tactical 7400 Remington that I absolutely love this caliber .284 SST is a very awesome bullet I've killed 5 deer one bear that was charging my in Colorado that I shot in the chest i had it full body mounted it weighed over 500 pounds it ran 30 feet and fell. but the bear was with my 7mm. I stock pile these boards every time I get some spare money I don't never want to run out and I will never shoot anything else shoot.

I would give the Berger 168 VLD"s or Classic Hunters a shot. I have been thoroughly impressed with them on deer out of my 7mm RemMags.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.