Do any of you use a GPS for rangefinding?

I'm assuming the target must be a marked known position? This is not some point and click at a target deal is it? Never have used a GPS.

-MR
Yes,you have to mark the location by actually standing at the target.Once you mark the location,you can get the distance from anywhere.It really has no use in a hunting situation,since you can't mark the animal.It is helpful when setting up long range targets,or even prarie dogs,when you can mark their mounds where they will be standing.

Great thread guys. This is a huge help for me to get past the short comings of my range finder as well. I hadn't given thought to using my GPS.

A GPS can be used as a range finder but there are certain limitations to them. I did an experiment last summer to test the viability of using it for targets, I took my WAAS enabled etrex out and shot 5 different points about 500 yards apart 10 times, each shot on a single point was 15 minutes apart so that I would negate problems with satellite geometry. All 5 points were also at least 50 yards from any tree, power pole, or object that may induce multipath errors. The next day I borrowed my company's survey grade GPSs and collected data on each point for 2 hours. After the data was collected I averaged all of my etrex points and sent the survey grade measurements for OPUS solutions. After everything was completed, most of the averaged points were within 3 yards of the OPUS solution with 1 point being 10 yards off.

While under ideal conditions, a recreational grade GPS can be reasonably precise, don't put your faith in the "I BELIEVE" button. Most recreational grade GPSs are only good for +/- 15 yards if selective availability is turned off and conditions are ideal. But if you have multipath error, you may be lucky to get withing 40 yards on a single shot. Also if any of the SVs have a timing error, you could be off by over 100 yards.

I think that too many people hit the mark button and take the coordinates to be fact.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.