Any interest in rimfire build thread?

The Trinity Kid

Hey all.

It looks like a new rifle will be following me home from the gun store in about three weeks. It's a Mossberg 817 wood stock in 17HMR. It's been in the back for over a year because the one on the wall hadn't sold. Well, the display sold.

When they took this one out of the back and assembled it, they found that there were some "defects" with the rifle. The rear stock screw is too long, so that it keeps the bolt from operating. The trigger guard is crooked and the stock isn't milled right. The barrel touches the channel in several spots on the "free floated" rifle.

They were going to send it back, but I offered to buy it - for a major discount of 75% dealer cost. The guy behind the counter (a good friend) was going to talk to the owner about it, though he expects he'll say yes since the owner owes me some money from something else. :rolleyes:

After all that backstory, my question is:

Is anyone interested in a build thread? I'm going to fix this rifle up really nice, glass bed it, float the barrel etc. etc. Anyone want to watch the process?

--TK

That's my plan right now. I just learned that there is going to be an egg shoot locally in April, so for a finale, I might go to that. It would be pretty fun, showing up with a $200 rimfire and wiping the open class out. :rolleyes: Not that I expect to, but we'll see.

--TK

That's my plan right now. I just learned that there is going to be an egg shoot locally in April, so for a finale, I might go to that. It would be pretty fun, showing up with a $200 rimfire and wiping the open class out. :rolleyes: Not that I expect to, but we'll see.

--TK

Yes, I'd be interested in hearing your progress.
Your "egg shoot in April" caught my eye. Don't hear much about them on the sites, but I have been an avid egg shooter for many years, believing that they are one of the most challenging shooting sports and excellent off-season practice for LRH. I compete in rimfire(100 yards), and center fire(200 and 300 yards). Hitting and egg at 300 yards in gusty wind conditions is no small feat! Where do you shoot?

We have egg shoots about every other year now. Oddly enough, the guy who puts them on is the gun store owner. I've never been able to go in the past because of scheduling, but I shoot eggs-size targets pretty regularly.

As to where I shoot, it's called the Junction City Rifle Range. It has a 120 yard range with five benches and a 75 yard pistol range. There is also a 750 yard gong, but we don't talk about that...:rolleyes: (I was going to put my mom's new 243 on it Saturday, but the rain and wind got in the way.)

--TK

We have egg shoots about every other year now. Oddly enough, the guy who puts them on is the gun store owner. I've never been able to go in the past because of scheduling, but I shoot eggs-size targets pretty regularly.

As to where I shoot, it's called the Junction City Rifle Range. It has a 120 yard range with five benches and a 75 yard pistol range. There is also a 750 yard gong, but we don't talk about that...:rolleyes: (I was going to put my mom's new 243 on it Saturday, but the rain and wind got in the way.)

--TK
We have about 6-12 shoots a year here in Massachusetts(yes, it's a sh--hole state to live in but we try to make the best of it). For rimfire we switched to the 1/2" dum dum lollipop pops at 100 yards. For several years Savage which is based out here was sponsoring our shoot and offering step deals on Savage rifles to first place winners. For the 100 yard shoots I just use a Savage 22LR BVSS and do very well. I use AR's in 223 and 6mmAR in the 200-300 yard classes. These egg and lollipop shoots are very addictive!

We have about 6-12 shoots a year here in Massachusetts(yes, it's a sh--hole state to live in but we try to make the best of it). For rimfire we switched to the 1/2" dum dum lollipop pops at 100 yards. For several years Savage which is based out here was sponsoring our shoot and offering step deals on Savage rifles to first place winners. For the 100 yard shoots I just use a Savage 22LR BVSS and do very well. I use AR's in 223 and 6mmAR in the 200-300 yard classes. These egg and lollipop shoots are very addictive!

This whole sport is addictive. :D

I live in California, so I'm quite familiar with "bad places to live."

--TK

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.