Custom rimfire

Target shooting or hunting?
Does it really matter if for target shooting or hunting? If it's not some extreme target rifle made out of aluminum alloys and has adjustments for every conceivable configuration that weighs a ton then it doesn't really matter. A rifle accurate on the range will also be accurate in the field. There were thirty some ground hogs that found that out the hard way last summer and fall.

Ok so I have been curious about whether at custom rimfire is worth it or not. Does FPS drop off to much by the time a customs accuracy would help?
I was hoping for some answers as if like to get a custom rimfire. Caliber options also welcome. Doesn't seem like to many out but I'm up for options to research.
Thanks
I am not sure if I can explain this correctly, but target 22LR ammo does not drop off in speeds at distances any more than upper mid pack BC bullets would in a centerfire rifle. At 600 yards, your remaining velocity is around 600 fps, or roughly 56-57% of starting speeds. BY comparison, a .223 75gr Hornady leaving the muzzle at 2700fps, it will have lost half it's speed at just over 700 yards.

When I think of rimfire, it is 22LR, other versions seem to be cheating, if it is that windy, I have rifles I can shoot.
I also am not here to spend your money, I have a Bergara B14R, a Rim X, and a Vudoo, the latter 2 under ideal conditions will shoot 5 shot groups under 1/2 moa at 300 yards, ideal conditions<<<< with the right ammo.
If I was forced to sell 2 of them, I would keep the Rim X, the action and the magazines are superior. Also, if in a pinch for a replacement barrel, there are prefits out there that will do the same, or a switch barrel with a faster tw..
The Bergara for the money is top notch, and the Vudoo speaks for itself, they deserve a nod just for the advancements they have made in 22LR in the last 3-4yrs.

I can't speak for Vudoo, Begera, CZ, Savage, etc. rifles. I do believe that you get what you pay for. Also, unless you buy a rifle with certified accuracy, it's a crap shoot. So, my vote goes for Anschutz. I have a .17 HMR that came with a factory certified target that was shot at 100 meters. That rifle is almost as accurate as my custom .22LR bench rest rifle. My bench rest rifle is finicky with ammunition and cleaning. I've had groups deteriorate from 1/8 inch to almost 1/2 inch simply because I cleaned the rifle. So now, I won't clean it until accuracy starts to deteriorate. Even then, I will simply swab the barrel and will fully clean if accuracy does not improve. Some times, it will take several shots before the rifle will "settle" down and shoot to its potential with a particular ammunition lot number. I also only shoot one lot of ammunition for the matches. There can be accuracy differences between lot numbers. I envy the guy that had phenomenal accuracy with his Savage. I'd like to try one, but I hate their triggers. I have a Remington 504 that I am going to re-barrel with a Lilja barrel and hope that it will help perform like I want.

There are enough high priced rimfires out there that if you want to spend a lot of money to get an accurate .22 by all means do so. To my way of thinking, which some will take offense to, any accurate rifle out of the box beats spending a lot of money on a custom job just to say that it's custom. I am an accuracy nut, I like accurate rifles and have found that there are many inexpensive rifles out there that shoot sub moa groups all day at 100 yards. I have two .22 rifles that will do that all day long. One is a Remington 513T which of course since its a target rifle is somewhat expected to shoot well, and it does but is very dependent upon the ammunition it likes. My other .22 is a Tikka T1X MTR that shoots sub moa out of the box with most .22 ammo. There is always some really crappy ammo out there on the market that is simply a waste of money. Since you are asking opinions mine would be to buy a good .22 that will shoot sub moa out of the box at a reasonable price. My recommendations for new .22 rifles would of course be the Tikka T1x MTR closely followed by the Ruger 10/22 but preferably the target version. There are a lot more out there that will shoot well but you may have to experiment with different ammunition to find the one that it really likes. It does however go without saying that the barrel has to be kept clean. Even a .22 will pick up copper or lead fouling that will degrade accuracy. When shooting competition I like to run a brush through the bore at least every 100 rounds. Cleaning kits are inexpensive and come in small packages these days. So there you have it, my opinion for whatever you think its worth
I believe you get what you pay for I've not seen a factory that will shoot like a full custom at distance. Maybe the shorter ranges yes but they really open up or the consistency falls off the farther out you go.
I'm juts thinking that rimfires tend to run out of steam at a relatively short distance.

I have had good success in rimfire PRS and LR hunting with my 22 rimfires…..Two Savages(FT and BVSS) that are both capable of holding sub .5MOA out to 300+ yards. Ammo choice, and a good scope that can effectively handle the rimfire ballistics can substantially close the gap in rifle choice with these sports. For close in, precision target competition, a high-end/ or custom RF is absolutely the way to go. IMO. My Savage TR 50, 100, 200 yards.

9B0B9047-0038-448E-954D-F33955F90D74.jpegCA1CEC69-6F0D-4503-9825-C4FE50885F25.jpegECFFC5CF-916F-4C55-B505-83BDD0AA4506.jpeg

It's will be for some plinking steel and some prairie dog work. So maybe a mix of both.
snox801, Thanks; it does make a difference what kind of hunting it is for. Since you will be using it for prairie dogs, you will probably not be carrying it very much. That helps narrow down the good choices. Being a 22 LR Hunter, I have a lot of Rimfires that I carry long distances. So I have 2 Marlin 7000's, two other Marlins, 2 CZ 452's, Remington Model 12, Tikka T1X and a Bergara BMR and of course, a couple of Ruger 10/22's.

Love my Bergara BMR, but it is a 5.5 lb carry rifle, The Tikka is great too, but the stock may not be your cup of tea for prairie dogs. For what you want to do, I have two recommendations that would both do well.

1. Bergara B14R
2. Any CZ Varmint--452, 455 or 457. Varmint has heavy barrel. Might even consider the MTR stock.

I have a Anschutz 1761 HB and I love it! I think it will hang with any .22 rifle made! This rifle doesn't need after market stuff it comes with top quality parts right down to a good 2 stage trigger!

Last edited:
I believe you get what you pay for I've not seen a factory that will shoot like a full custom at distance. Maybe the shorter ranges yes but they really open up or the consistency falls off the farther out you go.
I'm juts thinking that rimfires tend to run out of steam at a relatively short distance.
I don't think I am following your line of reasoning. It has been my experience that if a bullet leaves the barrel so as to hit a certain point then the following round fired the same way at the same target leaving the barrel at the same approximate speed will impact the target in the same spot as the previous shot. Accuracy comes from the rifle no matter if it cost $100 or $10,000 the rifle is going to send the bullet into flight the exact same way shot after shot and if it is shooting a 1/2 MOA group it will continue at 1/2 MOA until external factors cause it to wander. What external factors are we talking about? Well first of all there is the ammunition. How consistent is it? How much variation was there as it came out of the barrel? Wind has an affect on MOA accuracy, especially if it is gusting between each shot or varies from the muzzle to the target which is not uncommon especially when shooting at long range. Mirage, well that is more or less a shooters problem not a rifle issue. Constantly changing mirage will not change the bullet's accuracy, only where the illusion of a perfect shot was the second the trigger was pulled which depending on the range and intensity of the mirage can make the bullet hit several inches from where the shooter thought it was going to hit. Is that the rifle or bullets fault? No, only the shooters issue. The rifle is still sending the bullet out of the barrel and down range at 1/2 MOA it's other factors that influence the point of impact, not the tool regardless of manufacturer, model or caliber as long as we are comparing the same caliber side to side does not matter if its a Mossberg, Ruger, Tikka, Winchester, or any other out of the box rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA against any custom rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA there will be virtually no difference as far as the rifle/bullet's ability to continue to march at it's initial 1/2 MOA ride along the air currents to the target. A custom gun will not shoot any better than a equivalent out of the box gun providing they are both shooting identical groups at 100 yards.

In regards to your comment about rimfire's running out steam at relatively short distances explain that to the woodchuck who got knocked off of the stump it was sitting on at 125 yards or a squirrel at 150 who simply rolled over when that little tiny Winchester 40 gr hollow point made contact. Yes, just like any other cartridge the diminutive 22 LR or for that matter the .22 WMR start losing velocity the second they leave the muzzle and due to the round nose design lose velocity faster than a pointed tip bullet but with the right rifle, right ammo and the right nut behind the sights the max effective range is probably between 150 and 200 yards on an creature that will be affected by the somewhat slow velocity and energy when hit. Chipmunks, squirrels and similar small animals are likely to succumb to the impact and penetration of the slow moving low energy bullet.

I am sure this next comment will get some of you arguing. The .22 is similar to the 6.5 Creedmoor in that it starts out slow compared to others but runs out of enough energy to cleanly kill large animals at ranges over about 300 yards while punching a hole in paper at 1000 to 1400 yards is a piece of cake. It's easy to kill paper, but not animals.

I have a Anschutz 1761 HB and I love it! I think it will hang with any .22 rifle made!
Most likely no doubt, fine rifles.
What is available in aftermarket goodies, stocks, triggers, scope bases, 10-15 rd mags, all the things that make Rem 700 footprint actions so desirable in todays market and shooting styles?

Why do you recommend Ace over the other barrels that are well known barrel companies
Because they are the most accurate ones that Vudoo offers. Their words.

Because you haven't heard of Ace Barrels doesn't mean they can't perform better than "well known" barrel companies. I also use Ace Barrels in 6.5 and 30, all of which perform flawlessly.

I own a bunch, shot a bunch more. Old classics to new vunderbah manufacturing. RimX, Bergara, old Olympic target rifles, biathlon rifles, etc. You can find some clunkers that shoot lights out. Gotta dig for them. I have some classic Win52 and Annies that are awesome. Love them all.

Put the Tikka T1X in a KRG Bravo stock and it is hard to beat for the money. For accuracy and "big gun feel", go for the Vudoo. Bought once, cried all the way home. Started shooting and all smiles since. These are probably my 2 most used guns day to day. They have made me a better shooter, especially with the current component shortages.

Best part, a good custom 22 at 3500 rounds is just getting broke in. Its a lifetime investment.

But get something that fits your purpose. A 15# Vudoo with a 5x25 ffp scope in a PRS stock is not really a first choice for running cat squirrels in timber. Even with a tripod.
Trust me, I tried.