Any interest in a .311 cal custom run of MTH bullets from Cutting Edge?

atl5029

Hi y'all

A few weeks ago I posted about my visit to Cutting Edge Bullets, and I may have mentioned they do custom runs of bullets. In the next few weeks, I will be completing a build on a Mosin Nagant M91/30 I call the Multi-Role Precision Carbine (pics to follow when it is done). One of its roles is going to be a rifle to do a good bit of long range practice with since ammo is so cheap. However, I think I would like this to be a long range deer rifle too, and I was thinking about doing a custom run of .311 caliber MTH (Match Tactical Hunting) bullets probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 182 grains (since I have a bunch of 182 grain heavy ball to practice with and it is also a common commercial bullet weight). They told me they could likely make that bullet pretty easily using their existing knowledge. They already have a .308 cal 180 grain MTH that would likely serve as the model for a .311 cal bullet. That .308 bullet has a BC of .600, which I am told they measure with their Oehler 43 system.

They charge an engineering fee of $250 to design a new bullet, and a minimum order of 250 bullets. They estimated cost per bullet would be about $1.50, which is right in line with the price of their .308 cal bullets.

So is anyone else interested in having these bullets made? Is anyone here even shooting long range with a Mosin? With enough people, we could split the engineering fee to a negligible amount per person. I know there are some less expensive .311 cal bullets already on the market for long range hunting; the Barnes TSX and Sierra SMK come to mind, but this bullet would beat them both in external ballistics and terminal long range performance. The only other option out there for a precision, monolithic, heavy, high BC bullet in .311 or .312 cal is from GS Custom, and they are more expensive per bullet (1.72/bullet)

Who's in?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.