Antelope rifle recommendation

You don't need a heavy bullet for pronghorns. My go to is a Ruger 1V in 25-06 with a Leupold 3-9 on top. 90 - 120 gr. bullets of any construction will drop em.

Live in south central montana and hunt pronghorn every year (wife also hunts).
Me- .257 Wthby 117gr. Sierra
She- 25-06 100gr. Bar TTSX
Both work consistently well. We harvest 2 or 3 (bucks and does) a year depending on tag draw.

Out of the calibers you have it doesn't matter which one use all will work spectacular. However if it was me I would take the 6.5-284 because it has the longest point of aim and antelope tend to around a lot after some hunting pressure or when the rut starts so I would go that way.

Hard to beat the old stand by, Model 70 in 243. 400 plus yards.

Karenqus%20goat1.JPG

Not a goat, but the same 243 works well on muley's at 547 yards.
Karenqus%2020161.JPG

Both were shot with the Hornady 100 BTSP.

Having bragged about the 243, I'll confess that thats the wife's gun. My Go To Goat/Deer rifle is a Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

If you practice in the wind, you can shoot in the wind. This is Wyoming, if you dont shoot in the wind, you dont shoot.

523 yds. lazered.
I have shot two large whitetail bucks at 541 yds and 521 yds. Two whitetail does at 426 yds. and numerous animals closer in (70 yds- 320 yds) with this handload and none have shown that type of upset. Maybe a tumbler? Sometimes things just don't make sense.

Shot my very first antelope in CO with a .243 at 250 yards using a 95 gr Ballistic Tip. It flipped him over. Next 2 speed goats were in WY at 355 and 407 yards using my 7STW with a 140 gr E-tip. Both were dead in their tracks. Was looking forward to using my 6.5-284 Norma with a 143 gr ELDX this season in WY but didn't draw a tag. You've got choices. The 243 will do the job just fine, but it's nice to have the extra velocity and power of a bigger cartridge just in case you need it. As always, shot placement is crucial.
I'd use the 6.5-284 if I were you.

Shot my very first antelope in CO with a .243 at 250 yards using a 95 gr Ballistic Tip. It flipped him over. Next 2 speed goats were in WY at 355 and 407 yards using my 7STW with a 140 gr E-tip. Both were dead in their tracks. Was looking forward to using my 6.5-284 Norma with a 143 gr ELDX this season in WY but didn't draw a tag. You've got choices. The 243 will do the job just fine, but it's nice to have the extra velocity and power of a bigger cartridge just in case you need it. As always, shot placement is crucial.
Well I didn't draw either. Was hoping for the same. Next year maybe if not, for sure in 2020.

Heading out to Wyoming on an antelope hunt this Sept /Oct. Looking for rifle advice. 243/9twist, 260/8 twist, 6.5-284/8 twist. Those are my 3 options sitting in my safe. I have both smaller and larger options but chose those being what I feel are best. The 95 bergers shoot best in the 243. The 260 and 6.5-284 like the 140 class bullets. Shots are expected from 200-1000. All 3 guns can achieve the range accurately given environmental conditions allow shots. Any help on best choice for bullet weight/ caliber / cartridge would be great. Thanks.
My preference would be either of the 6.5's but in reality whatever you shoot best will do the job.

My favorite in antelope country is the 7mm STW.

Excellent post. I killed my first Antelope in Claunch, NM in 73-74 with a Remington 740 SA shooting factory 120's. One of the proudest moments of my young life as I had to shoot off of the shoulder of one of my dad's two best friends due to the high grass.

It is forever etched into my mind I was about 12-13 at the time so it was a huge moment for me and set the hook in me permanently.

My favorite in antelope country is the 7mm STW.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you WildRose........love mine and it does a great job in all the WY wind. But the 6.5-284 Norma will perform very well, too

I have to agree with you WildRose........love mine and it does a great job in all the WY wind. But the 6.5-284 Norma will perform very well, too
Any of the flat shooting 6.5's or 7's are a great choice for Pronghorn.

Just use the right bullet and put it where it belongs and you'll get the job done which is why I go back to, "whichever you shoot best".

There's a whole lot to be said for the confidence of the shooter.

Hard to beat the old stand by, Model 70 in 243. 400 plus yards.

Karenqus%20goat1.JPG

Not a goat, but the same 243 works well on muley's at 547 yards.
Karenqus%2020161.JPG

Both were shot with the Hornady 100 BTSP.

Having bragged about the 243, I'll confess that thats the wife's gun. My Go To Goat/Deer rifle is a Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

If you practice in the wind, you can shoot in the wind. This is Wyoming, if you dont shoot in the wind, you dont shoot.
That is true everywhere I've ever seen Antelope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.