Best rifle zero for Antelope

Altiman94

Hi-

I've drawn a WY tag this year and plan on taking a .243 and a .30-06. What's the best zero?

I have a ballistics program on my phone and regularly shoot to 350y. I'm thinking a 200y zero makes sense, but also read about a lot of short shots on antelope.

If you are going to dial I would zero at 100, if you are using some type of holdover reticle zero to take best advantage of it. For example, the rifle I'm taking this year has a BDC reticle, it is zeroed at 300 yards and the holdover points match exactly to 500 yards at 20X, if I want to shoot farther than that I will have to dial.

I will add that I'm a novice so take it for what it's worth, I'm sure you'll get some more experienced responders. This system is working for me at my current skill level.

Bob

A 200 yard zero will be fine. Given that you have already worked out your ballistics using a 200 yard zero, you will be at most, a couple of inches high if you take a 100 yard shot with the calibers you are intending to use. Depending on what part of Wyoming you will be hunting, of more concern will be a long shot in a 10-20 mph wind condition should that occur.

250 yards. With a 250 yard zero you'll never be too high or too low if you aim for the heart lung area to 300 yards.

The vital size of antelope is 8.5 - 9 inches. You'll be good to go with either rifle,

With a good bullet in your 243, (90-100 gr) you can extend that and use a 300 yard zero.

But there is not reason to shoot antelope beyond 300 yards.

Careful with wind, a 15 mph full value wind will move your '06 bullet about 6 inches at 300 yards. Somewhat less with the 243.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.