Antelope rifle recommendation

Killed my buck at 523 yds last year... with my 7mm-08.
No need for the mag unless you just want to kill something with it.

Killed my buck at 523 yds last year... with my 7mm-08.
No need for the mag unless you just want to kill something with it.
What bullet? Only reason I'd use mag is for confidence building. Otherwise the 7-08 is a fantastic cartridge. I've killed many whitetail with it.

I have used the 7mm-08 using the Remington 140g corelokt to take several antelope in Wyoming over the last few years. It is a very dependable rifle/round to drop the antelope, most have been with only one shot.

Speed goats are not hard to bring down . Just take what ever you have that your comfortable with. You will experience wind and some distance but they are fun to hunt. Enjoy

I use the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. One tough little bullet. Thus far on longish range kills it has taken a large buck at 541 yds, a large buck at 521 yds, two does at 426 yds and the speed goat at 523. All one-shot kills. This is out of normal, over-the-counter rifles... albeit accurate ones. My handloads run about 3120 fps.

I use the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. One tough little bullet. Thus far on longish range kills it has taken a large buck at 541 yds, a large buck at 521 yds, two does at 426 yds and the speed goat at 523. All one-shot kills. This is out of normal, over-the-counter rifles... albeit accurate ones. My handloads run about 3120 fps.
Never tried the ballistic tips but I may need too.

I have shot two antelope with a 7mmRemMag and two antelope with 6mmBR.
I have two antelope tags this year. The rifles I will take I am building now; 6.5-06, 280AI, 7mmSWT, and 300WM.

Personally, i use the 270 win, but several years ago acuquired a 280 ai. Either will kill antelope, but the 280ai will handle heavier bullets. I like the 154 grain sst hornady for a long range shot. It always delivers.

Decided on the 7mm08 and now I'm adding a cow elk to the mix on this antelope hunt. Going with 140 accubonds

Fine choice of caliber and bullet IMO JMack. I have killed antelope and large bucks over 500 yds with the 7mm-08... with 120 gr NBTs. Both the NBT and NAB are super accurate out of my 7mm-08s and .280 Rems in the 140 gr flavors.

Here's the best antelope rifle I have currently: (want a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt)

->6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator
->SWFA 5- 15 x 42 SS scope (mil/mil, side focus)
->Boyd's Classic laminated stock W/fish scale checkering, Fluer des Lis borders
->Timney trigger
->Savage 110 metal trigger guard (exactly replaces Boyd's plastic guard)
->flush cup sling swivels
->Magpul Modular sling
P3300359.JPG

Extremely accurate W/ Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M match ammo (1/2 MOA) and 143 gr.ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo (3/4 MOA).

Eric B.

UPDATE:
Sold this RAP rifle and got that pricey 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro! Love it. Zeroing target shows less than 1/2 MOA 3 shot final group. (Took 4 shots before this group to get on target after bore sighting.) Same SWFA SS 3 - 15 x 42 scope shown in this photo and Hornady ELD-M 140 gr. ammo.

Will post photos of rifle and target soon.

Curse you people here on this thread! You made me go out and buy a new rifle.

Last edited:
7-08 is without a doubt my favorite cartridge. Mines not even a custom or anything, bone stock Tikka T3, older, blued. It just works. I lost track of how many whitetail I've made one shot kills with it. For this hunt I put my Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 BRH on it and have a Harris bipod 9-13" in the pack plus shooting sticks.

7mm08 is a great cartridge. It has good ballistcs and good accuracy. I have used its little brother the 260 rem for 20 yrs, with good results.
7mm08 being underbore can achieve 7x57 ballistics in a short case. I have a friend that bought one on my recommedation 10 years ago, and he loves it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.