Antelope rifle recommendation

I lived in Casper, Wyoming for ten years and still have an Antelope that missed Boone an Crockett by 2 points. I missed one would have went well up in the book and despite hunting him hard the rest of the season I never got within range of him again. They don't get that big by being dumb. I loved hunting "prairie goats" and for that matter just watching their behavior for hours at a time.

If you are interested I can pass on some secrets the old timers passed on to me about getting close to them (I'm an old timer now). Anyway with your parameters I would go with the .284 and high B.C. bullets. Those things have eyes like 7 power binoculars so never skyline yourself and if they all turn to look your direction they are looking at YOU! Put the best glass you can afford on your rifle with a top reticle as it will pay for itself many times over.

If you are driving in Wyoming and one of those speedsters runs across the hi-way in front of you get ready to hit your brakes because the whole heard just may decide to do the same thing. If you place a good shot on one sometimes it takes them a while to figure out they are dead. I took out both lungs and the heart of one and he still ran 150 yards went down and spun on the ground for several minutes before he stopped. They may be small and they don't all do that but some are tough little critters if you place your first shot correctly there is no point in shooting them again. I hope you have a wonderful trip. I LOVE Wyoming!

Last edited:
I lived in Casper, Wyoming for ten years and still have an Antelope that missed Boone an Crockett by 2 points. I missed one would have went well up in the book and despite hunting him hard the rest of the season I never got within range of him again. They don't get that big by being dumb. I loved hunting "prairie goats" and for that matter just watching their behavior for hours at a time.

If you are interested I can pass on some secrets the old timers passed on to me about getting close to them (I'm an old timer now). Anyway with your parameters I would go with the .284 and high B.C. bullets. Those things have eyes like 7 power binoculars so never skyline yourself and if they all turn to look your direction they are looking at YOU! Put the best glass you can afford on your rifle with a top reticle as it will pay for itself many times over.

If you are driving in Wyoming and one of those speedsters runs across the hi-way in front of you get ready to hit your brakes because the whole heard just may decide to do the same thing. If you place a good shot on one sometimes it takes them a while to figure out they are dead. I took out both lungs and the heart of one and he still ran 150 yards went down and spun on the ground for several minutes before he stopped. They may be small and they don't all do that but some are tough little critters if you place your first shot correctly there is no point in shooting them again. I hope you have a wonderful trip. I LOVE Wyoming!
Unfortunately did not draw a tag this past year. Hopefully next year. Your singing my favorite tune with that .284. Happens to be my favorite long range deer gun. Pretty close run with my 6.5-284. Your right, the highest bc bullets make all the difference in wind and with range. Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately did not draw a tag this past year. Hopefully next year. Your singing my favorite tune with that .284. Happens to be my favorite long range deer gun. Pretty close run with my 6.5-284. Your right, the highest bc bullets make all the difference in wind and with range. Thanks for the info.

Best of luck and great hunting! I'm a late convert being an old Elmer Keith throwback type; LOL.

I've used 280AI w/150NBT and Speer 160HC (didn't tear them up too bad) the 300WM/180NBT ( just getting the rifle "bloody", it tore them up pretty good!) 6mm/284 w/Nosler 90NBT and it tore a big exit hole, the 6.5/284 w both the Nosler 125PT and 120 NBT...perfection, golf ball size exit. They are delicate critters, and "to me" too nasty to eat, way too gamey, swells up when you chew it. I always get them cut n wrapped and give it away. I have taken extremely good care in the field with the meat too. It is just a goat...and not everyone has a "taste" for goat, ha.

Appreciate the recommendation on range for game animals. I actually know my limitations on game currently. Never hunted antelope so just looking for caliber advice. I know mine and my guns effective range and limitations in given conditions. I know they are spooky and real cagey critters. I would guess wind will limit my range. Thanks for the advice.
Antelope die easily--at least the ones I have shot for the last 40 years.. my wife hunts with me ever year..had taken 1 or 2 every year..using a 22-250 shooting 50gr Nosler Ballistic tips..we have NEVER had a wounded antelope--her shots have been from 125 yards to slightly over 500..I have used everything from 22-250, 243, 300Win and 300 RUM but my favorite is a custom built rifle in .257W mag shooting 100 gr Barnes Triple Shocks..loaded at 3670fps--amazing on mule deer and pronghorn..

Antelope die easily--at least the ones I have shot for the last 40 years.. my wife hunts with me ever year..had taken 1 or 2 every year..using a 22-250 shooting 50gr Nosler Ballistic tips..we have NEVER had a wounded antelope--her shots have been from 125 yards to slightly over 500..I have used everything from 22-250, 243, 300Win and 300 RUM but my favorite is a custom built rifle in .257W mag shooting 100 gr Barnes Triple Shocks..loaded at 3670fps--amazing on mule deer and pronghorn..

I agree for the most part, but I did see one run about a mile, shot thru both lungs, until it dropped. Just amazing. But this corresponds to some other posts for other game, where the shot just sizzles thru soft tissue without expanding effectively, for whatever reason. I think this was a similar case.
Sounds like you're in a great lope hunting area!

I agree with those that recommend the 6.5s or 7mm for their wind bucking ability. Bullet drop is a know factor in trajectory, the wind is the unknown and therefore more margin for error. So in a windy region like Wyoming, its probably better to have a caliber that bucks the wind.

280 Remington with 145 gr Speer BT going over 3000 fps .If I can see one I can hit it.The 145 had enough energy to kill clean easy out to 600 hundred yards with no problem.

i shot mine this year at 685 with a 6.5-300 wby with a 127lrx tore her up good she never took a step but id go 6.5-284 with a high bc bullet but i also like that 264 caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.