Antelope rifle recommendation

A0CC7CC8-687F-4946-9CA6-3B58F868FB24.jpeg
666910CD-0504-422E-9A11-13893CA36BFD.jpeg
Got some range time in today with the 7-08. 1-1/4" at 400 2-3/4" at 500. 140gr AB pushed by 4350 lit by a cci

Just shot a nice 15" Wyoming pronghorn buck Saturday, Sept 22, 2018 outside Sheridan at 223 yards. Used my Christensen Arms MPR in 6.5 Creed, NF ATACR FFP 7-35x56mm, 26" carbon fiber barrel, 8 twist, love this rifle and set-up. Reloads are Hornady 143gr ELD-X, IMR 4350 powder 41grains 2810fps, seat bullet 0.010 off the lands. Accuracy is outstanding..better than 1/2 MOA consistently. Light weight gun even with NF scope, easy to carry. 6.5 Creed is a very versatile caliber...

The last three years we have pretty much been shooting antelope exclusively with 6mms of one flavor or another and 7mm-08s. They all seem to work fine when placed in the vitals.

My personal favorite is the 6mm-06 setup to shoot the 105 Bergers. That bullet at 3300+ has proven to be accurate, deadly, and has enough BC to buck the wind.

I have a 6.5-06 in the works and hope to give that a shot next year also.

Just got a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro (carbon fiber stock & other extras like lots of fluting). I'll shoot 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X bullets or, if pretty windy, 147 Hornady ELD-M. The latter is a purely match bullet but having a polymer tip and relatively thin jacket would work fine on antelope.

By January I'll have a gently used MARCH 3 - 24 x 42 scope in FFP, mil/mil illuminated number indexed reticle. Only 22.5 oz and I'll use Talley aluminum rings. The unloaded rifle & scope will be 7lbs. 10 oz. With nylon webbing sling & 5 rounds of ammo ti will be above 8 lbs. Still not a bad weight if I go mountain hunting for mules, elk or sheep.
Before then I'll use my SWFA 3- 15 x 42 scope on it to see how it shoots.

JMack, if my X-Bolt shoots as well as your rifle at 500 yards I'll be very happy. My 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle does it just fine but a light hunting rifle may be another story.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Try looking at a .300 wsm. I have one (Steyr ProHunter), and I absolutely love it. Less recoil and all the performance of the standard .300 win mag.

The .270 wsm is supposed to be a great one, too.

Love the 6.6-06! Currently running a 260AI . Gotta be close ! Just under 3000 with a 140 !
I hear guys getting 2950+ with the .260 Ackley. I think the 6.5/06 has the potential to do better. About par with the 6.5-284 which still bests the .260 AI by about 100-150 fps depending on powders used. Either way, from the standard .260 thru the 6.5 mags, they all do phenomenal on game at very long ranges.

I'm at 2940 , still have room to go , just stopped when I found the accuracy node ! I've shot everything from coyotes to elk , nothing has went far ! I put a break on mine , not that it needed it , but zero recoil now and I generally don't lose sight picture , and it's a #2 contour . Can't wait to get back to Wyoming , it's going again !

That sounds like the perfect setup. Anything you can shoot and watch impact is what I call " The perfect setup".
I'm at 2940 , still have room to go , just stopped when I found the accuracy node ! I've shot everything from coyotes to elk , nothing has went far ! I put a break on mine , not that it needed it , but zero recoil now and I generally don't lose sight picture , and it's a #2 contour . Can't wait to get back to Wyoming , it's going again !

The rock creek #2 is pretty light ! It could have been just a shade over (haven't weighed it for a while ) but I'm pretty sure it was just a couple ounces under ! Goes over 8 with the bipod , dangitt ! Still easy to carry ! Took it to Wyoming last season for antelope using the rdf 140 . Acted like a partition. Curled and punched . 2 antelope same thing .... Thought they'd act more like a berger but didn't ! Got back here had a doe tag used a 6 crredmoor with a rdf , same thing and at 640 yards ! I hope they start making a 338 !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.