Antelope Doe at 1020 yds - 7mm Allen Mag

Buffalobob

I did not draw out any antelope tags in Wyoming last year and only drew two doe tags this year. But the herd seems to be improving and the bucks are getting bigger so I think the hunting restrictions are working.

This is about the fourth or fifth antelope I have killed at around 1000 yards from the exact same shooting point. I was using a 7mm Allen Mag and 200 grain Wildcat bullets at a MV of 3350 fps. Very flat and fast.

There is a video that I have trimmed down to a short length because there was a lot of time spent just waiting for the animals to separate and get a doe to turn broadside. They have wandered off the screen by the time I get the opportunity I want. The bullet lands high ( forgot to preload the bipod)and breaks the spine which causes it to deflect back onto the video screen. The bullet impact then spooks a bedded down mule deer which I am eternally glad was uninjured!

[ame="https://youtu.be/k6uSSrF0Cks"]https://youtu.be/k6uSSrF0Cks[/ame]

Attachments

• antelope at 1020.jpg
    antelope at 1020.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 20
In the video it sounds like you had plenty of wind to plan for as well. I am glad to see that you found some game. I was at Big Sky , MT in August for a conference and the absence of game was weird, sort of like a Hitchcock movie.

According to Brain Litz, it has a G7 of about 0.36 and a G1 of about 0.725. It is very equivalent to the new Bergers in many respects.. The jackets are soft and open easily on animals.

In case you don't know, the bullets are no longer made but I bought enough when Kirby built the rifle to wear out the barrel. I only fire about 10-20 rounds per year from that rifle and that is how Kirby recommends you use the high velocity rifles he builds. I have a 308 that I shoot for practice so I never abuse the 7AM barrel.

According to Brain Litz, it has a G7 of about 0.36 and a G1 of about 0.725. It is very equivalent to the new Bergers in many respects.. The jackets are soft and open easily on animals.

In case you don't know, the bullets are no longer made but I bought enough when Kirby built the rifle to wear out the barrel. I only fire about 10-20 rounds per year from that rifle and that is how Kirby recommends you use the high velocity rifles he builds. I have a 308 that I shoot for practice so I never abuse the 7AM barrel.

I make it a point to not heat up my 300AX's barrel today it was fire two shots with about 3 minutes between shots then it was back to dialing in my 243.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.