338 Allen Magnum at +1 mile

Kirby that's pretty impressive shooting at over a mile! Still hard to beat the big 338's for the real stretch out work. We're just back from a hunting trip in our Southern Alps shooting Tahr (The Himalayan version of your Rocky Mountain Goat, but with bigger horns) out to over 1400 yards with our 338 Lunatics (a chambering inspired by your 338 AM of course!). We had a play with some of our smaller 338's and 7mm's but at 1000 yards plus the biggest 338's are our go to's!

And you'll love RL33. It produces more velocity for the same pressure across our test gear than N570. We just finished a bunch of testing in our 338 FX (max capacity Lapua improved), and it not only produced great velocity, but superb accuracy as well. OBP716 produces the most velocity in these 120 odd grain capacity cases, but RL33 is more consistent and accurate.
But it certainly isn't the powder for the AM/Lunatic. That's H50BMG, 20N29 or the right burning rate batch of US869 territory for sure.
Greg
Ps This pic is of a nanny (female) shot for meat. Kevin shot it at 1205 yards on a 32 degree angle from the riverbed with my 338 Lunatic, but then muggins me had to climb all the way up to retrieve it, and I never even got in the photo! Darn thing got caught up and never rolled down.
The bulls are far more impressive with a big mane and bigger horns, but don't want to hijack your thread with any more pics!

Attachments

• Kevin and Norm with Kevin's 1205 yard nanny with the 338 Lunatic.JPG
    Kevin and Norm with Kevin's 1205 yard nanny with the 338 Lunatic.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 26
No hijack at all, love the pic. If I could hunt one place on the planet out of the US, it would be a hard choice to choose between the Yukon for moose or your country for your variety of game animals. Someday I hope to do that. For now, your country still seems to like US citizens!!!

I will have a test supply of RL33 tomorrow to try out in my 338 AX, very similar to your FX and also want to give it a run in my 338 Raptor just to see if possibly it will work in that one as well. Not sure what to expect with the Raptor and RL33 but really excited to see her run in the 338 AX.

Again, thanks for your information and time to reply, great pic and good shooting!!!

Not saying its a bad powder or that it is not amazing in the right application, that application however is not in the 338 Allen Magnum. In the 338 Allen Xpress however, yes it will be very impressive but from what I am hearing, I am going to try RL33 first and from what I am hearing, it will do 99% of what N570 will do with much less cost.

We will see.

Thanks for looking into other powders to test. This is what I was leaning toward regarding testing more options for a slow burn powder with the 338 cartridges. Understandably the 338 AM cartridge is limited with suitable options. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the 338 AX or the Lapua/Imp or similar capacity cartridge using RL33 and perhaps some day N570.

Thanks for looking into other powders to test. This is what I was leaning toward regarding testing more options for a slow burn powder with the 338 cartridges. Understandably the 338 AM cartridge is limited with suitable options. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the 338 AX or the Lapua/Imp or similar capacity cartridge using RL33 and perhaps some day N570.

Tested my 338 AX with RL33 yesterday and will report results on a new topic post soon. Not magical but very solid performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.