Another Which Cal ????

Dick Cox

I am just starting to try this long range shooting and I have 3 different Cal. rifles which I am going to just pick one to use for 6-800yd shots and I just needed some opions on which would be best to start putting money into. I have a Rem.700 in .308,Rem.700 in .270wsm, and a Ruger M77 in 7mm Mag. any help on which one to pick would be appc. I will be hunting Wtail deer but mostly just shooting for fun.

Man you have three great choices there. I would not hesitate in picking either of the rem 700 as my starting point. I would stay away from the Ruger because of the scope rings but don't let my opinion kill your dream.

On the 2 rem 700 with your stated goal of killing a whitetail deer at 6-800yds either chambering will get it done for you. I think you will have an easer time finding high BC bullets for the 308 win and I would suggest the bullet I use the 155g Berger VLD.

If I where going to build one of the rifles up I would use the 270wsm because of its MAG bolt face.

"I think you will have an easer time finding high BC bullets for the 308 win and I would suggest the bullet I use the 155g Berger VLD."

Not trying to start an argument but that's not a valid point. According to Berger's website, the BC for that .308 155gn Berger is .439. The BC listed for the .277 caliber 130gn is .452, the 140gn; .487 and the 150gn; .535.
Ballistic's wise the .270WSM kicks the .308's arse. JohnnyK.

.270WSM without question. Because it is a Rem 700. If the 7mm RM was a Rem 700, the choice would be tougher (much tougher).

AJ

Last edited:
I would use the 308 for main practice on the basics of long range shooting. Cheaper ammo, less recoil, better barrel life.

Then use the 270 WSM for those long shots, need to practice with it a little too.

But if only one can be had, go with the 270 WSM, when you burn the barrel out, you can rebarrel to a 7 WSM or a 300 WSM.

-X3M

Last edited:
My first choice would be to sell the Ruger and get a M700 in 7 mag. Second choice would be to shoot the 270WSM till the bbl burns out, then rebarrel in 7mm WSM. It's hard to get excited about the 308, especially when you look at the BCs of the 7mm's.

What a great problem you have. Most people getting into this game don't have a rifle and are trying to choose one. You have three and want to know which one to start with....short answer, work with ALL of them! You have two great platforms from which to start.

1. 308 - awesome long range rifle and it will take 5000+ rounds before the barrel is burned out. Loaded right, (take Michael's advice here) the heavier bullets will carry the energy better to 6-800 yards. Personally, I shoot 175vld's in my 308. It 1000lbs of retained energy to 675 yards.

2. 270wsm - another awesome long range caliber. Loaded with 140grain bullets at 3200fps, this bullet has 1000lbs. of retained energy to 800 yards. The downside of the short-mags is that they are barrel burners.

(as a rule of thumb, I consider a mininum of 1000lbs. of retained energy the benchmark of energy required to cleanly kill deer with a well placed shot)

3. Ruger 7mm mag. That 7 mag is an awesome cartridge, it's just in the wrong rifle. I agree with earlier advice, sell this rifle because of the limited aftermarket parts available. Then use the funds gained from the sale to improve your remaining two rifles.

Have fun.

Selling the ruger outright is too upgrade the 308 and 270 wsm is a great idea. Use the extra money for better stock,bedding, trigger job/trigger replacement, and better optics. Or, better yet, take along range shooting class!

What kind of stocks do the 700s have? Boyds just came out with their Ross featherweight thumbhole laminates. At only 2.5 lbs and a flattened front for shooting off bags they look like a great deal,especially for $105 unfinished. Glss and pillar bend and you have the start of a great platform.

or you could sell two and really do up one rifle. or sell them all and do a totally custom build or a remington ti in 280.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.