another what cal. ?

j-speers

im new the the long range but not hunting and reloading and some custom work I have desided i want to build a cheap lrh rifle and something to shoot and just enjoy i cant deside what caliber though I would like to stay above 6.5 and i dont need a magnum I have thought anywere from a 6.5-06 a 280. AI a good old 308. give me some ideas p.s I will probably never shoot over a 1000yards thanks for all the input

im new the the long range but not hunting and reloading and some custom work I have desided i want to build a cheap lrh rifle and something to shoot and just enjoy i cant deside what caliber though I would like to stay above 6.5 and i dont need a magnum I have thought anywere from a 6.5-06 a 280. AI a good old 308. give me some ideas p.s I will probably never shoot over a 1000yards thanks for all the input

A lot of the 7mm's will do the job at 1000 yards .

I would start with the 280 rem, 7mm WSM, 7mm rem mag, or some of the 30 cal.

The bullet selection of the 7mm is good and so are the BC's.

J E CUSTOM

+1 on a 7mm.

I have a 7mm mag and love it. The bullet selection is great; 160 accubond BC .531; 162 a-max BC .625; 168 berger BC .617.

The 280 AI will get you close to the 7mm mag performance and Nosler now produce brass for it, although I have heard it is a bit soft which will limit your pressure.

The 7mm mag is easy to load for, ignore all the stuff you have heard about the belt.

I don't think the animals wil notice much difference between them, it will really depend on whether you want to stick with a factory cartridge ; 7 wsm, 280, 7mm mag, 260, 6.5x55 or go with a wildcat or improved.

Have fun narrowing it down.

Stu.

There's a resurgence right now of the .284 Win. for long range. You might look into that. 2900fps with 180 Bergers is what I was reading.

cross

Generally my first question in response to questions like this is "what are you going to use it for??"

All of the cartridges mentioned so far will reach 1k without any problem. I'm a personal fan of the 280 (imagine that). But be careful, because if you're hunting anything larger than varmints, you will need a bit more punch than the nonmagnums provide.

the rifle will be my long range cyote rifle mid range deer rifle and just something fun to shoot longer ranges than i normally do without being too heavy and akward to carry around, but if i do go with the .280 remington should i go AI or just the factory caseing? I really like odd ball stuff but is it worth the extra money?

I might have already built your rifle....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

If I had to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have chambered the rifle for 280AI rather than 280Rem.

Two reasons for that.

1. You can shoot 280Rem ammo in an AI chamber.
2. You can almost get 7mag ballistics out of the AI.

Given all the 7mm bullet choices, either of the 280's is a great deer round and will shoot long range varmints and targets nicely.

thanks for posting that half of my beer fund for my first year of college just went out the window seeing that that, this is exactly what i want to build but mine will probably be on a stevens action just because of cash with maybe a little heaver barrel and i think i will go with the AI just cause i like the older less popular stuff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.