What cal. to start with?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by timbawwolf, Jan 31, 2004.

1. timbawwolf

timbawwolf Member

I'm new to long range hunting, what is a good caliber to start with? I am thinking about getting a 7mmRUM or 300RUM for deer and hogs out to 600+. Thanks,

timba

2. *WyoWhisper*

*WyoWhisper* Guest

There is alot of information about this in the archives.. if you have never shot LR before amny here will suggest you begin with a 308.. for your deer and hogs in GA no need for a big boomer from the get go.. there are A LOT of things you need to learn long before you go poking out to 600!

Tell us a little about yourself and we'll get you on the right track...

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Now how did I know the first reply would be to be to get a 308?? It's been working for the military and LEO types for decades, should work for hunters too.

Ric's correct IMHO, a 308 is good and it'll kill deer and hogs for a long way out. If you're thinking it's not "Macho" enough you can get it as your second rifle [​IMG] but chances are good you'll have one.

Buy the rifle, learn the basic of long range shooting, upgrade and you'll be killing stuff at 600 to 700 yards in a year.

[ 01-31-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

4. timbawwolf

timbawwolf Member

Wyo, I saw some pics of your 308, it's a sweet rifle. How much did it cost, I wouldnt mind having one like that, but I dont know what caliber (yet) Thanks for the replys

Timba

5. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

I agree with Wyo and Dave,

Start with a 308. Even if you want to hunt up to 600 yards.

6. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

I agree with Wyo and Dave,

Start with a 308. Even if you want to hunt up to 600 yards.

7. *WyoWhisper*

*WyoWhisper* Guest

timba,

A 308 like the one I have posted here is gonna run around $2800 then you need to buy optics..
    worth every penny and the barrel should last you for 5-8000 rounds..