What cal. to start with?

timbawwolf

I'm new to long range hunting, what is a good caliber to start with? I am thinking about getting a 7mmRUM or 300RUM for deer and hogs out to 600+. Thanks,

timba

There is alot of information about this in the archives.. if you have never shot LR before amny here will suggest you begin with a 308.. for your deer and hogs in GA no need for a big boomer from the get go.. there are A LOT of things you need to learn long before you go poking out to 600!

Tell us a little about yourself and we'll get you on the right track...

Now how did I know the first reply would be to be to get a 308?? It's been working for the military and LEO types for decades, should work for hunters too.

Ric's correct IMHO, a 308 is good and it'll kill deer and hogs for a long way out. If you're thinking it's not "Macho" enough you can get it as your second rifle
wink.gif
but chances are good you'll have one.

Buy the rifle, learn the basic of long range shooting, upgrade and you'll be killing stuff at 600 to 700 yards in a year.

[ 01-31-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Wyo, I saw some pics of your 308, it's a sweet rifle. How much did it cost, I wouldnt mind having one like that, but I dont know what caliber (yet) Thanks for the replys

Timba

timba,

A 308 like the one I have posted here is gonna run around $2800 then you need to buy optics..
worth every penny and the barrel should last you for 5-8000 rounds..

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.