Another Which Cal ????

.270WSM without question. Because it is a Rem 700. If the 7mm RM was a Rem 700, the choice would be tougher (much tougher).

AJ i agree with AJ. additianlly i woould sell the ruger ; re barrel the 270wsm with a krieger and add a muzzle brake ( you said it for fun) . the brake will help with that.

What a great problem you have. Most people getting into this game don't have a rifle and are trying to choose one. You have three and want to know which one to start with....short answer, work with ALL of them! You have two great platforms from which to start.

1. 308 - awesome long range rifle and it will take 5000+ rounds before the barrel is burned out. Loaded right, (take Michael's advice here) the heavier bullets will carry the energy better to 6-800 yards. Personally, I shoot 175vld's in my 308. It 1000lbs of retained energy to 675 yards.

2. 270wsm - another awesome long range caliber. Loaded with 140grain bullets at 3200fps, this bullet has 1000lbs. of retained energy to 800 yards. The downside of the short-mags is that they are barrel burners.

(as a rule of thumb, I consider a mininum of 1000lbs. of retained energy the benchmark of energy required to cleanly kill deer with a well placed shot)

3. Ruger 7mm mag. That 7 mag is an awesome cartridge, it's just in the wrong rifle. I agree with earlier advice, sell this rifle because of the limited aftermarket parts available. Then use the funds gained from the sale to improve your remaining two rifles.

Have fun.

sucks i didn't know this before. i have the m-77 ruger 7mm. rem. mag. kinda grew to the gun though. good info though.

sucks i didn't know this before. i have the m-77 ruger 7mm. rem. mag. kinda grew to the gun though. good info though.

+1. I purchased a used Ruger M77 MKII SS in .338 WM last year for $399 (includes rings and a custom muzzle brake) ... thought it was a good price and cannot put it down. So far I changed the mount and rings, spec-tech trigger and added a scope. Stock is the next planned upgrade.

P4030316.jpg

With Hornady .225g SST factory ammo, it is shooting ...

TgtGfx1.jpg

I guess I got lucky on this one and will be keeping her. Started reloading this year but have not done any load development yet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.