another Which 6.5 and what caliber bullet for Hunting/ shooting paper?

I'm sticking with my original recommendation for the the original 6.5. :):Dgun)

I started both my boys hunting at age 10 with a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser (Carl Gustaf 1894M carbine with 18" barrel). There is something nostalgic about this cartridge/chambering and has been around longer than our venerable .30-06 and still going strong esp. in the EU.

She's not fancy, just simple and effective since 1894 - keep it simple! :):Dgun)

With the right set-up, load (smoking at 3120 FPS with 140 Berger hybrid out of 31.5" Pacnor) and nut behind the trigger, she's not to shabby for a 123 year old cartridge design. :rolleyes:

[ame]https://youtu.be/It-P1FKTzv0?t=56[/ame]

Bought my wife a 6.5x284 and wouldn't change it for the world, in fact I end up borrowing it. She can hit 24" steel at 1 mile all day long with it and lots of guys have taken elk at 1000-1100 yards with 1 shot kills so it's an amazing all around caliber.

My teenagers also shoot it, barely any recoil at all. Lots of bullets, recommendations. Bergers or the new Hornaday ELD-X bullets.

Bought my wife a 6.5x284 and wouldn't change it for the world, in fact I end up borrowing it. She can hit 24" steel at 1 mile all day long with it and lots of guys have taken elk at 1000-1100 yards with 1 shot kills so it's an amazing all around caliber.

My teenagers also shoot it, barely any recoil at all. Lots of bullets, recommendations. Bergers or the new Hornaday ELD-X bullets.

That is really good shooting. At 2900fps muzzle vel with the Berger 140vld at 3000' elev the bullet would be passing through the transonic barrier at 1600 yards and still hitting 24" target regularly at a mile. At 5000' elev 1 mile is just past the transonic range. You must be at pretty high elev?

Steve

I started both my boys hunting at age 10 with a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser (Carl Gustaf 1894M carbine with 18" barrel). There is something nostalgic about this cartridge/chambering and has been around longer than our venerable .30-06 and still going strong esp. in the EU.

She's not fancy, just simple and effective since 1894 - keep it simple! :):Dgun)

For a factory rifle I'd go with the Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 CM ...

https://youtu.be/cYOTKrYhvZA?t=13

Good luck!
Thank you for the notation on the 6.5 X 55 Swedish. This is my personal favorite of all the 6.5's. It has more that proven itself for more that 100 years and today will compete with anything out there. Using the old Gustaf is truly nostalgic but I liked the 1896 version due to the better steel. If you can find one of the modern Remington's or Winchester's chambered in the Swedish you will have the basis for a wonderful firearm. I just started using the Nosler LRAB in 142 grains and may try the 129 grain in the future. Long range is not so much about speed as it is about predictability.

I'm very partial to the 6.5x284. Very accurate! It nicely balanced with the felt recoil of a 260/6.5CM and the killing effectiveness of a 264 Win Mag when loaded to 3000FPS with 140 VLD's.

Christensen Arms 6.5 Creed. Several models to choose from.
Hornady ELDX Hunter and ELDM. This ammo shoots very close to one another.

I'm partial to my .260 AI. I use lapua brass, and with RL26 I'm sending the 147 ELD-M at 3090 fps, and I have verified this by trajectory out to 1233 yards. Granted I'm running a 30" barrel...but 3090 fps with a 147 is close to SAUM or 6.5 Sherman performance, and I'm using 50.2 grains, talk about efficiency. I have reloaded this load 3 times on brass that was previously fired 4 times, and primer pockets are still tight.

I have not posted before and I own a 6.5-300 weatherby ultralightweight. Any opinions
on 130 or 140 Berger vld with regards to velocity and shorter range 50-100 yards too frangible at high velocity? I do not handload but I certainly would start. I use Hsm ammo for my 300 and 30-06 with 210 and 168 VLD's and love their performance.

I'm partial to my .260 AI. I use lapua brass, and with RL26 I'm sending the 147 ELD-M at 3090 fps, and I have verified this by trajectory out to 1233 yards. Granted I'm running a 30" barrel...but 3090 fps with a 147 is close to SAUM or 6.5 Sherman performance, and I'm using 50.2 grains, talk about efficiency. I have reloaded this load 3 times on brass that was previously fired 4 times, and primer pockets are still tight.

I agree that 3090 is pretty good performance with that cartridge but a 6.5 Sherman with a 30" barrel will reach 3350'.........Rich

I agree that 3090' is pretty darn good but a 6.5 Sherman with that length barrel will reach 3350'!..........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts