Another "SHOOTER" QUESTION

4xforfun

Been doing lots of shooting and playing around with my shooter program. I have decided to use "station PSI" which saves me the step of imputting the elevation. My question is this. I have been using my original bullet imputs...ie...alt, baro, temp, ect..... Do I need to rezero (or simply change the input data) using station PSI, or does the program know how to transpose the data? I don't see this in the manual.

Thanks,
Tod

Been doing lots of shooting and playing around with my shooter program. I have decided to use "station PSI" which saves me the step of imputting the elevation. My question is this. I have been using my original bullet imputs...ie...alt, baro, temp, ect..... Do I need to rezero (or simply change the input data) using station PSI, or does the program know how to transpose the data? I don't see this in the manual.

Thanks,
Tod

Tod,

If you use 100 yard zero, then you do not need to change anything. You do not even need to enable "zero atmosphere" when you set up the load. Even if you intend on something like a 300 yard zero, bring that back to 100 and use the +2.5" or whatever it takes in your load information. Regardless of how you do input on the particular load, just make sure you turn on "pressure is absolute" if that is what you are doing. If you set up your load with elevation and adjusted pressure, and did not click that, your program should still work fine when you go back and set up your shot, so long as you enable the "pressure is absolute" when entering station pressure.

I think the simple answer to your question is "no."

You can find manual online to verify.

Last edited:
I have the online manual, and I have been studing it along with the manual for my Kestral 3500. The way I have it set up...according to the mannual, you can't even imput any values for alt. in this mode.

As far as my Zero...EVERYTHING is zeroed at 300. 100 yard zeros make no sence whatsoever.....to me.

I have the online manual, and I have been studing it along with the manual for my Kestral 3500. The way I have it set up...according to the mannual, you can't even imput any values for alt. in this mode.

As far as my Zero...EVERYTHING is zeroed at 300. 100 yard zeros make no sence whatsoever.....to me.

You are zeroed at 100 for computers purpose if you tell it 3" high or whatever you need for 300.

What doesn't make sense about a 100yd zero?

Why would I want to dial up for a 300 yard shot? With a 300 yard zero, I need to do NOTHING out to about 350 with my dials/holdover. With a 100 yard zero, I gotta start moving things at around 225 - 250.

I am loosing 30% of my worry free shooting by having to dial up...or 56%...depending on how you like to do math (225 x 156% = 351.)

Since this is LRH and not Tactical shooter something or other, I don't need to be within 1/2 inch at XXX yards.....just be in the "boiler room"...which is about 8 inches on deer. It's also called Maximum point blank range...but I am pretty sure you knew about that.

Everything I own has a 300 yard zero, from my varment rigs to my big game guns. OK, I admit, my rimfires are not zeroed at 300 :D.

Now, when I attend some sort of tactical match i rezero to 100...THAT makes total sence.

You're entitled to do it whichever way you prefer, but having different zeros for different applications makes no sense to me, unless I'm dealing with rimfire.

You're right, this is long range hunting. It's more important to me to hit an animal where I want to, than a target at a tactical match. As such, I want every bit of precision and accuracy afforded me by the equipment I'm using. To admit that its appropriate for a tactical match where utmost precision and accuracy is warranted, but somehow not appropriate for hunting is... well I don't know what it is. There's a word for it I'm sure. ;)

Mentally, the aspect of holding "under" for closer shots introduces a variable that otherwise wouldn't have to be there. With my 338LM, I would have to hold under nearly a full mil at 100yds if I set a 300yd zero. That isn't a small amount. While that is only 3.5" and in theory will not matter at 100yds, it is not something I'm willing to accept as "good enough." Anyhow, I'm sure you've heard both sides of the argument and are intelligent enough to do it whichever way you see fit. I'm just expounding on what I see to be flawed logic. If you agree its more precise and will work better for a precision rifle match... why is it not adequate for long range hunting? After all, inside of 400yds doesn't really meet the definition of long range hunting does it?

You're entitled to do it whichever way you prefer, but having different zeros for different applications makes no sense to me, unless I'm dealing with rimfire.

You're right, this is long range hunting. It's more important to me to hit an animal where I want to, than a target at a tactical match. As such, I want every bit of precision and accuracy afforded me by the equipment I'm using. To admit that its appropriate for a tactical match where utmost precision and accuracy is warranted, but somehow not appropriate for hunting is... well I don't know what it is. There's a word for it I'm sure. ;)

Mentally, the aspect of holding "under" for closer shots introduces a variable that otherwise wouldn't have to be there. With my 338LM, I would have to hold under nearly a full mil at 100yds if I set a 300yd zero. That isn't a small amount. While that is only 3.5" and in theory will not matter at 100yds, it is not something I'm willing to accept as "good enough." Anyhow, I'm sure you've heard both sides of the argument and are intelligent enough to do it whichever way you see fit. I'm just expounding on what I see to be flawed logic. If you agree its more precise and will work better for a precision rifle match... why is it not adequate for long range hunting? After all, inside of 400yds doesn't really meet the definition of long range hunting does it?

"Flawed logic".."good enough". First off, 99% of my shooting is NON-TACTIAL, so your Idea that I have two different zeros is hogwash. I shoot 1 tac mach a year. Second, this is LR hunting, but, like most of the people who post here, MOST of the game opprotunitys are not considered long range. I have taken deer out past 1K several times, 800 to 1K even more. But the majority of the big game we take is under 400 yards. I would bet that this is true with most of the people who post here, unless they are making LR hunting vid's. "Good enough"...the deer dosn't care weather I center punched the heart or just took out two ventricals...dead is dead....dead on arival.

And, If I need to be "sergical" at short range....I dial DOWN. Or use the reticle to hold under.

Also, with a pumkin thrower like 338L you would need to zero at 100.:D....3.5 inches high at 100? I am no where near 3.5" high at 100 with a 300 yard zero, so "hold under" in normal hunting situations is moot...it don't happen.

How -N-L did we get here from the OP?

Is one of you saying that it makes a difference to "Shooter" when zeroing @ 300 vs 100?

I zero my ELR rifle @ 300 and everything else @ 200. Am I in some way confusing "Shooter?"

That's the easiest question. I'm a fan of 100yd zero's, you aren't... so I decided to pick on you about it. ;)

ME TO !! I shoot a lot of my deer in the head if possible dont waste no meat if not heart so i dont have to hold under i shoot 7mm mag and need it dead on.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.