Another good moning in "my spot"

royinidaho

Another good moning in \"my spot\"

Headed up to the spot again this morning. Left the house @ 0700 and was in position @ 6620' @ 0845. Yep, I'm a real early bird. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Got set up with all the stuff. Had an anxiety attack when I found that I left my shooting sticks at home. (when I packed up they were under the shooting mat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) So I used my bed roll for a rest.

After a scan with the Leica LRFs for a quick look and seeing nothing I set up the Nikon spotter. The mountain side wasn't yet fully sunlit due to shade from the mountain I was on. It goes up about 7000'.

I glassed and I glassed and I glassed. Then all of a sudden there was an elk. How did he get there? Must have been bedded behind the only juniper near him. As soon as I saw horns I knew I couldn't shoot. I have a cow tag. I zoomed the Nikon from 20X up a bit to check out the horns. He was a 5X5 of medicore size. But he had a very decent sized body and looked like he had gone through the rut with minimal effort.

I ranged him a 1110yds. I could actually range on him and the hill just past him and the hill just below him. I was pleased with teh Leica. I studied him for about an hour. And dry fired a bunch. I must have hit him 20 times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He grazed down to 1050yds and hung right around there for quite a while.

Personal observations:
1) **** he was thick through the shoulder. Comparing him to the Mule deer doe to the left of him made me feel good that I would have been using the 300SMK if I could had used it (cow tag, remember) I really wonder if a 200gr WC of 277 size even at 2K fpe at that distance would be sufficient. But hey it worked for buffalobob. His is a bit faster than mine......by at least 100 fps.

2) 1050yds is a stretch for my 338 RUM w/the 300SMK @ 2730 fps @ 50*F. It was just under 20*F this morning. My drop chart only goes to 1000 and it says 5.0 Mils. I could probably have guessed another 0.2 Mils below the top of the the post.

3) While I was watching the 5X5 I kept scanning looking for some cows. I tho't I was doing a pretty fair job of it when I noticed a big black thing through the LRF. Hey! How in the heck that tha Moose get there. It wasn't a little moose either. It was a darn big one. I don't think I've seen a better set of antlers on a moose around here. And to beat ti all, w/the spotter on 20X the Elk and Moose were both in the field of view. Yep, ya want me for a spotter alright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ranged the Moose at 1109 yds. He munched around for a bit then stretched out in a great big yawn and bedded down.

The 6 doe seemed to make the 5X5 edgie and he took off. It was good that this happened as he took the same escape route that the cows took the other day. Just on the other side of a small ridge on over a saddle.

I included a couple of pics. One shows my new fangled jet sled w/skis. Its easier to pull all that stuff than carry it. I added the skis after the first trip up when the sled made way too much noise. The skis are cross country and all be darned if when you stop pulling up hill it stays put. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I don't know how it does coming back down as I left everthing on the mountain except for "Pink" (the rifle) and all the optics. There is supposed to be a storm coming in tomorrow and dump 6" in the valley. I'll head up tomorrow evening and have a nice cozy night @ 6620, valley is 4450 and see if the old bed roll is still up to snuff.

452727.jpg

452729.jpg

Re: Another good moning in \"my spot\"

Roy in Idaho,

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, ya want me for a spotter alright

[/ QUOTE ] LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Roy, what ever you do don't ride the sled down hill! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let us know when you fill that cow elk tag!

I told you to get a bull tag, but no you wouldn't listen.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I always enjoy seeing animals even if they aren't the right ones. Hope the right ones show up for you.

[ QUOTE ]
I always enjoy seeing animals even if they aren't the right ones. Hope the right ones show up for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What animals ???? Did I not get the pix ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif All I saw was a hillside with some obscure print superimposed on it that I was thinking about having a Egyptologist translate so I could be in on the fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy , If I was there we would have had to sleep on that hillside and wake up to the " 6" powder " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif .

I have a great recipe called " breakfast in the bedroll" I'll leave you to figure out how I keep the eggs from freezing , the ham thawed and the bread dry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim B

Roy,
Roy ?

Roy?? What about some more good " moning " in your spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You are obligated..........so pay up !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim B.

Re: Another good morning in \"my spot\" - Animals

OK jimm,

Here ya are. Finally got something that turned out.

I'll sell the gps coords of this sweet spot for 100 sows and bucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The black thing is the bull moose feeding. You can get the jist of much larger he is than the elk. 500 yd pack to the edge of the hill then straight down from there.

332ELk-_-Moose-med.jpg

WoWser !!

That is a cool pic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I bet you was " cool " too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No cows there yet ? Pleaser take some good and bloody pix as it has been a while since I was bloody and the old bloodthirst is rising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the pic , Jim B.

Roy is there three or four elk in the picture? Are they all bulls? Looks like some nice country you have to look over.

We want to see a picture of one with its feet up in the air.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the problem is the color of the gun. if you would paint it something other than "pink", the "red" would start showing up! i really need to see some pictures of what that 300SMK did to something Roy.i'll see if i can get some pics this week.

Roy, does it take long to get your name drawn for a bull moose tag there?

Slope,

It has nothing to do with time and everything to do with luck. I don't think there are any points received over time..

It's kind of a bummer as when you apply for a moose permit that is the only controlled hunt that may be applied for that year.

There are plenty of moose around. That bull is a pretty nice one. I'll probably see him several times this winter. Its a pain getting pics as I have to keep the camera batteries in my warm pocked then load the camera and shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oldfamily, there are 4 elk in the pic all bulls. There were 6 total bulls but I couldn't get them all and the moose in the pic and zoom as much as I wished. The elk were @ 1000+ a litttle and the moose was at 1100. One nearly legal spike but just nearly which isn't close enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts