Another boot selection thread

wasskeet

I've searched through quite a few boot hunt threads and got one question answered (who is good to order multiple pairs from with no return issues? Scheels/BlackOvis - but one remains.

I've got one foot almost a size and half larger than other, toes longer than big toe on both feet and need wide toe box. Outside of that needs are pretty basic: relatively light, non or little insulation, waterproofed, decent support for uneven ground and at least 8" height. These will be a combo knock around/hunting boot.

What are some good options? Thanks for your response.

Look at Gohunt, they have very extensive sizing information. They will take returns, but honestly if you follow their sizing info it probably wont be necessary. I just ordered two pairs from them and returned one of them no issue.

Blackovis for sure. Their CS is second to none. Also, real hard to beat the Crispi Summit boots…true to size also.

I had an issue with timing on a pair of boots and there was confusion on their part. The owner contacted me and informed me that there would be NO charge for the boots I purchased…can't beat that.
I have also heard good things about Blackovis or just crispi in general. To that note, the newer briksdal pro gtx would probably fit the OP's needs.

well I have spent a small fortune on boots over the yrs, and I come to appreciate GOOD one's
NOT there price tags, but good one's last longer fit better and make what your doing more enjoyable!
that said, for non insulated boots, I love my Meindi Comfort Fit boots, ( I also have there insulated one's as well and love them just as much!
I have never had to send a pair back,a s they have been perfect on size from one style to another for me,
but wouldn;t think there would be a problem with sending anthing back,. they stand behind there producrt pretty good!

and I also very much love my Danner Super rain forest boots,( I also have there regular insulated rain forests which can also be had in no insulation which are brown rather than black, but there not as durable, GOOD but not as durable the super rain forests one's have been for me,, I like both though!

there about as durable a boot as I ever worn, have a few pair that are 20 yrs old and still water proof and comfortable, (had them redone a few times too) but there more of a work boot than a hiking boot for me any how!
I wore these boots 12+ hours a day on concentrate floors, in rain, snow and cold and summer heat! and were the best I could find for that use!

Only problem with Danner boots I have had over the decades, is they had some changes on ownership and where things were made, and quality at times was IFFY one some of there lower end boots, but ALL of the higher ends boots like **** from them have been the same quality, or all the pairs I have bought have been!

so these two get my vote for long lasting comfortable water proof boots!

My father had polio as a kid and one foot was thinner and shorter than the other. He always had to buy two pairs of shoes or boots and throw the non-fitting shoes away. Forgotten about this. Leg was messed up too, why he was 4F in WW2.

I've tried probably 10-15 pairs of boots in the last year or so. technically I wear a size 14.5, but that isn't made in any shoes, so I have to try both 14 & 15 sizes to find something that works. I also have a narrow-ish, full sized foot... Narrows are too narrow, so I have to find a boot with a narrow last? I guess that is sized as a regular.

The easiest company to deal with was crispi. Ordered direct from them, they sent the return label in the box with the boots. Easiest return I've had. Also, based on what you're describing, I think a crispi model will fit your wide toe box needs.
That being said, schnees had excellent CS. I would not hesitate to try them again. Easy enough returns.
I ended up finding Scarpas to fit me best, thanks to this forum. I don't think they models I tried would work for your wide toe box, but they also had excellent CS. Little more involved with the return process though.
Not going to lie... If I could find the boots on Amazon I wanted to try out with free returns, I did that first with some of the boots. Be careful to look at the return policy before you go that route.
Based on the CS I got directly from the manufacturers, I would probably recommend calling/emailing them and going directly through them. They might possibly be able to mix and match sizes, or give you a discount or something if you ask nicely? Worth a shot

Boots... in my opinion they can be the single most personal & difficult piece of gear to get right. I actually have gone through this over the last 2 years trying to get it "just right". I got close a few times between trying multiple brands, models, sizes and even a couple custom insoles. I ended up last winter calling Lathrop & Sons. I have never been happier! I even sold all my other boots. It is an expensive option but if I could do it over I wish this is where I started not where I ended because it would have been ALOT more cost effective to consult with professionals in the end.

Come to find out I have two different size feet, two different length legs, wider than average feet, an old injury still causing problems, and some other high level stuff going on. They helped diagnose everything with me patiently after committing to their system. When you commit to their system they guarantee to work with you until it's right for you and YOUR NEEDS. That is better than free returns. They will put you in a boot that is best for your intended use even if it's not their brand as well as custom insoles, different sizes, modifications... whatever.

Lowa's on my first pair no break in blisters...mendiels scarpa zamberlan danner solomons kennetrek all are good boots in my opinon. Schnees and whites for pack boots

I love my Lowas as well. Bought my first pair two weeks before an elk hunt at 12,000 feet, and had zero issues. Still my go to boot when I'm going to be putting some miles on.

I agree with KH_Outdoors. That being said, Zamberlin is my new boot choice. I've had Meindl, Lowa, Kenetrex, Crispi, Schnees, etc. I have a narrow heal and a high arch and have finally found a boot that fits my foot. I used them for a 5 day moose hunt pack out. I got back and bought a second pair as they are on sale at Sportsmans.

I just wear altra lone peak trail runners. Wearing boots for a living, I have to say, they are horrible for hiking. That's why real hikers don't wear boots. Haha

Now, I know we all don't hunt just the early season, so when snow starts to fall, i usually default to my salmon quest as my boot of choice.

I reckon if you have two different foot sizes you'd have to call the company and see what they can do for you. Probably easier than buying 3rd party.

I just wear altra lone peak trail runners. Wearing boots for a living, I have to say, they are horrible for hiking. That's why real hikers don't wear boots. Haha

Now, I know we all don't hunt just the early season, so when snow starts to fall, i usually default to my salmon quest as my boot of choice.

I reckon if you have two different foot sizes you'd have to call the company and see what they can do for you. Probably easier than buying 3rd party.
Sounds like a good way to be sidelined for the rest of your hunt with a rolled/sprained ankle if you ask me. I wear boots for a living as well, and would take the extra ankle support when packing weight or navigating terrain. My Lowas are nearly as comfortable as a sneaker to my foot.

Recent Posts