Boot recommendation

My Zamberlans need to be retired and I want to get a pair of lightweight mountain boots. I know that that fit is everything...so there's no one answer. And for background, I have big, wide size 13s. Any recommendations and real world feedback would be appreciated. Also, this would be for more mild-weather hunti
My Zamberlans need to be retired and I want to get a pair of lightweight mountain boots. I know that that fit is everything...so there's no one answer. And for background, I have big, wide size 13s. Any recommendations and real world feedback would be appreciated. Also, this would be for more mild-weather hunting.
My Zamberlans need to be retired and I want to get a pair of lightweight mountain boots. I know that that fit is everything...so there's no one answer. And for background, I have big, wide size 13s. Any recommendations and real world feedback would be appreciated. Also, this would be for more mild-weather hunting.
I would recommend Kenetrek. I've had them all and have hunted the Rockies for 30 years. This past year, I finally decided on them and can tell you they are the best boot I've ever worn. Ten plus miles a day and for the first time in my life my feet were happy at the end of the day and could have slept in them. I'm a 15 wide and use the 15 med in the mountain extreme and they are perfect in both the 400 and the non insulated. Very little if no break in needed. Good luck with your choice and happy hunting!

I wouldn't have another pair of kenatracks ! like wherrying rocking chairs on your feet they SUK !!!!

Well here I go and throw my two cents worth in. I bought a pair of Kenetrek desert hikers and they were super stiff and they took for ever to get them broken (so I taught) I hunt the desert so I'm in lava rocks all day long and was chasing a herd of elk across the lava flows after several miles they gave us the slip and I took a rest and took my boots off and let my feet rest and my sock a chance to dry. My heels were sore and I could tell I was starting to get blisters so I put some bandaids on my heels and headed back. By the time I got back I had blisters on both heels, needless to say i was going to give them away. My friend I was hunting with gave me some advice! I know what you paid for the boots I would work them a little more and and get them broke in. (I have hunted in these boots for 3 years pryer to this time). So I decided i would use them in my upcoming Sugar Beet harvest, (I'm a farmer) I wore them everyday for 20 days and by the end they fit my feet like a glove and I love them now. In the mean time I had bought two different pairs of Crispi. The crispy and lighter but I don't believe they are built as well as the Kenetrek but are the most comfortable boots out of the box I have ever wore.
Truth to be known I truly think any of the boots that have been mentioned on this form will serve you well, just take the time and effort to get them broke in properly.
I had a guy that worked for me that was in the military and he told me the way they broke their boots in was to fill them up with water and they put them on and never took them off for 48 hours and they fit perfect! Interesting thought!!!!

+1 on Russells. Fit and quality is exceptional; that's what you get with custom boots. Wait period is excessive. My only complaint with them was the Grand Slam Sheep Hunters (i have others)...I used them on a couple of dahl sheep hunts, which puts you up on top of mountains with all kinds of scree (sharp rocks) and these leather boots just don't survive. Great boots for sure, but not made for sharp rock / mountain top hunting. Koflachs are a better choice if you are chasing the full curl.

I wore Kennetreks at work 1 day and returned them. It was like walking on stilts with super thick and tall soles. It's nearly impossible to stalk quietly in stiff, heavy boots. Do yourself a favor and buy Crispis! They are expensive but worth every penny. I work in the field year round in rough country..snow, sleet, rain, etc. I've put several pairs of Crispis through the test and they all are holding up nicely! You can usually find a killer deal if you do some online searching. I have a pretty good selection of boots to choose from. Some I use in the summer that breath better and are a little lighter weight for long hikes. Others are taller and better in deep snow and cold.

I wore Kennetreks at work 1 day and returned them. It was like walking on stilts with super thick and tall soles. It's nearly impossible to stalk quietly in stiff, heavy boots. Do yourself a favor and buy Crispis! They are expensive but worth every penny. I work in the field year round in rough country..snow, sleet, rain, etc. I've put several pairs of Crispis through the test and they all are holding up nicely! You can usually find a killer deal if you do some online searching. I have a pretty good selection of boots to choose from. Some I use in the summer that breath better and are a little lighter weight for long hikes. Others are taller and better in deep snow and cold.
I must say, no personal experience with crispi, but tried them and they didn't fit well. I noted kenetrek earlier mostly due to fit.

I have hunted in boots that didn't fit well, never again.

I would tell anyone, spend the money, get a well fitting boot, and feet be happy! (Notice well fitting and a good fit are VERY different IMO).

not picking on you or Crispi, just saying, what fits one may not fit another.

I tried Crispi, zanberlin, and a few others. I won't speak down to quality of other brands. Lots of good stuff out there. After many years of hunting in $100-200 boots, never again. I will splurge and go with quality and go higher end on the boots!

+1 on Russells. Fit and quality is exceptional; that's what you get with custom boots. Wait period is excessive. My only complaint with them was the Grand Slam Sheep Hunters (i have others)...I used them on a couple of dahl sheep hunts, which puts you up on top of mountains with all kinds of scree (sharp rocks) and these leather boots just don't survive. Great boots for sure, but not made for sharp rock / mountain top hunting. Koflachs are a better choice if you are chasing the full curl.
True on the grand slam sheep hunters....I use them mostly for hunting in West Texas and yes we have sharp rocks but nothing like scree, and surely not wet. I really enjoy the mountain hunter boots they built me tall tops and I had turtle skin put in the tops to turn any snakes. But hearth one I would call a true Mountain boot--like a scarpa or a barksdale boot or La Sportiva...I just ordered a set of landthrop and sons mountain extremes with their new foot inserts...if we ever get back to traveling and hunting I have a Wester Tur, and a fall Greenland musk ox on the menu to try these out on...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.