Annealing no color change?

284wins

Hi,

Had my first attemp at anneling some brass and wondering if it normal not to see change in brass color?

I use tempilac 750, my drill, a flame torch and the right size socket. Thy 10 lapua that were past in thumbler first and 5 peterson not thumble.

Both brass and up at 6-7 second in the flamme, tempilac said it good but their is no color change on the lapua and slight color change on the peterson.

Will test load them as soon I can but wondering cause the video on YouTube all show change in color...

What your experience tel you about that?

It's hard to compare results when the prep and materials are not the same. You have some brass that's been tumbled, some that has not. You're also using two different brands of brass.

How did the Tempilaq say you hit temperature? Did it turn black, or turn clear?

How consistent were you with distance from flame, and pointing the flame in the same spot?

I was at the same distance from the flamme from what I can see.

Tempilac turn clear for each bran of brass.

Flamme was at the junction of the neck and the shouler.

I dont think that I have over heat my brass, have ruin one on purpose to see what it did.

Im just curius if it have happen to other to have no color change on brass after anneling

I was at the same distance from the flamme from what I can see.

Tempilac turn clear for each bran of brass.

Flamme was at the junction of the neck and the shouler.

I dont think that I have over heat my brass, have ruin one on purpose to see what it did.

Im just curius if it have happen to other to have no color change on brass after anneling

I'm annealing Hornady brass , once fired on my homemade annealer using my rcbs case prep center. All cases have750 tempilac on the inside of case necks, flame pointed at neck shoulder junction, it is a very consistent process, at the end of slow 3 count, tempilac melts. The brass itself shows a slight color change but not dramatic, I did some ppu 22.250 brass and had the same results. The whole resizing and bullet seating is much smoother since I began working with the annealing process, velocity nodes are also easier to spot

Some brands of brass will change color when properly annealed. Some won't change, or change dramatically less, under an identical heat cycle.

I've annealed more than 4,000 casings.

If you purposefully scorch them in a propane or butane flame (over-anneal), I think they will all eventually change appearance.

Some brands of brass will change color when properly annealed. Some won't change, or change dramatically less, under an identical heat cycle.

I've annealed more than 4,000 casings.

If you purposefully scorch them in a propane or butane flame (over-anneal), I think they will all eventually change appearance.
I confirm that, did one for the fun to see it go wrong 🤣

If you let them sit for a long time (months) you'll eventually see a color change line

Lots of mine didnt show much color change-- but if I put them up fir a while, when I pull them back out they tend to show color change

My brass change color slightly, but I am being very careful not to over do it. I usually anneal after each loading. then I resize and de prime, Then I put the cases in the Wet Polisher with the S/S pins . The cases come out shinney brass with no discoloration at all.

I'm curious about flame temperature. I just ran out of the old MAPP gas which had no problem getting the brass to glow. I would anneal the same as Cortina would to where the brass would just start to glow and it was done. I purchased some new MAPP gas which is now MAP/PRO and the flame temp doesn't get as hot as the old MAPP gas. After some research , I tried some Bluefire mapp gas which is said to burn as hot as the old MAPP gas. It's close but not quite. So in all my 53 years of infinite wisdom, I purchased a torch and oxygen to run with all these little yellow bottles of mapp gas that I now have. The flame on this torch is very small and easy to control and as you might have guessed....Way Hotter. Depending on how far I hold the flame away from the brass, it takes about 2 seconds and the neck starts to turn to a dull glow. I don't get the heat transfer down the case like I used to do with the old MAPP gas because it is so quick. I've just started doing this and so far my results seem to be the same as annealing my old way. I definitely have more testing to do with all my other calibers. I only tried this out of my being to cheap to step up to an AMP annealer. Has anyone else tried this way of annealing brass?

I should add that I spin my brass in a socket chucked up in a drill with a vice.

I'm curious about flame temperature. I just ran out of the old MAPP gas which had no problem getting the brass to glow. I would anneal the same as Cortina would to where the brass would just start to glow and it was done. I purchased some new MAPP gas which is now MAP/PRO and the flame temp doesn't get as hot as the old MAPP gas. After some research , I tried some Bluefire mapp gas which is said to burn as hot as the old MAPP gas. It's close but not quite. So in all my 53 years of infinite wisdom, I purchased a torch and oxygen to run with all these little yellow bottles of mapp gas that I now have. The flame on this torch is very small and easy to control and as you might have guessed....Way Hotter. Depending on how far I hold the flame away from the brass, it takes about 2 seconds and the neck starts to turn to a dull glow. I don't get the heat transfer down the case like I used to do with the old MAPP gas because it is so quick. I've just started doing this and so far my results seem to be the same as annealing my old way. I definitely have more testing to do with all my other calibers. I only tried this out of my being to cheap to step up to an AMP annealer. Has anyone else tried this way of annealing brass?

I should add that I spin my brass in a socket chucked up in a drill with a vice.
I got the blue bottel and it take me like 6-7 secondes for trlempilac to ment. Brass feel good in the die, will see the result once I got time to go to shooting range. Have lot more brass to do but sins it my first time anneling dont whant to mess up my brass