First loads after annealing, no neck tension

Hi,
I had read that post but I couldn't tell if you were saying after 20 reloads with 0.010" sizing on the necks that the results were as good as the 47 reloads with the 0.002" working of the brass and case necks or not. Thus my question. Post 26 didn't speak so clearly, although that's what you may have been implying.

Is your conclusion that there is really no need to anneal case necks for 20 or more reloads and firings with factory chambers and standard plain Jane full length resizing dies?

Bart---thanks---that was the point I was going to make. On my 1K competition stuff they get loaded the night before.

Great thread....

Bart B, I'd like to ask what your opinion is on the thickness of the brass contributing to the success of that test?

As an example, I loaded WW brass in a 300WM sizing very similar amounts and after 7 loads I blew my first vent in the neck. That's when I started annealling and pitched the other cases. My loaded OD was only .333, or neck thickness was 0.0125 vs this 0.0135.

Anyhow, after problems and experimentation and mistakes with annealing, I've now got to 10 reloads on some of the following batch with no issues yet. I've also changed from a Redding bushing die to a Lee Collett die. Sizing 10 thou gave me horrid runout.

I use the Tempilaq liquid. The crayon required 6 hands and 30 fingers to use. I found that setting up the torch right I can now just watch the "colour line" run down the case and just beyond the shoulder and stop there and actually got great results without the indicator fluid. So I used the fluid to see how it should look and then did it the same without. Still, I'm paranoid and generally use the liquid. One bottle will last a looooong time.

I do it in good light and I air cool. The mark left by the indicator comes off with thinners.

So far so good....

Great thread....

Bart B, I'd like to ask what your opinion is on the thickness of the brass contributing to the success of that test?
I think it's a combination of both the metalurgy and factory annealing as well as how thick it is. Reshaping brass work hardens it.

A friend did a similar test with his .308 Win. and he used WCC match brass made in 1958 for the US Olympic team. That brass only weighs 151 grains and has fairly thin walls. He got 57 reloads on his test case before running out of test powder. The rifle was clamped in a machine rest and the 57-shot group at 100 yards was about 3/10ths inch on centers with Sierra 168 HPMK's.

I don't think he was sizing case body down and setting the shoulder back more than one thousanth. Thay may well have contributed to his success.

Bart B,

For fear of being accused of highjacking this thread, I'll send you a PM if you would be willing to reply there.

Thanks.

WL

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.