Anchoring game. Why high shoulder over neck shots?

180ls1

Behind the shoulder guy here. However, it seems high shoulder is becoming more popular for "no tracking" shots. Why is high shoulder so favored over neck shots? Neck shots seem to have the same effect. Is it because if you miss the shoulder the animal is still "dead."

Please discuss.

I like high shoulder because it gives some room for error. A little back, you get lungs just may not have the drop effect. A little forward, still can be lethal and also can get neck. Neck is a smaller area to hit if you're specifically aiming for it. This mainly goes with deer and thinner skinned game, an elk id go behind the shoulder.

From what I understand, I want to tuck my bullet low, right next to the leg meeting the body. A little forward hits the heart, a little high hits lungs, a little rear hits liver. A little low can miss or hit an offside leg. The low is bad, so I tend to aim just a bit higher, but still below center.

That said, if working at my limits of capability, I'm going to aim higher and just a bit forward. In these situations, i'll risk hitting the shoulder to assure I hit the lungs.

https://captainhunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/vital_organs_deer_oep.jpg
1698414659474.png

I like high shoulder because it gives some room for error. A little back, you get lungs just may not have the drop effect. A little forward, still can be lethal and also can get neck. Neck is a smaller area to hit if you're specifically aiming for it. This mainly goes with deer and thinner skinned game, an elk id go behind the shoulder.

👍 I like this response! Though, I really prefer to bring as much meat home as possible! Through the "slats" behind the shoulder helps with this…..though, they rarely fall DRT!

I grew-up listening to my uncle talk about minimal meat loss….anything in excess of a cup or two of throwaway meat was too much meat loss! memtb

The only issue I see with high shoulder shots is that you need to be a tracker. Lung shots might not bleed well.(my last one didn't) So you may need to know exactly where it was shot, find tracks, blood or hair and then track up to 200 yards. That is a long ways. Not impossible, but a skill that needs considered.

….again, these comments are under the thought I'm far enough out to not guarantee a heart/lung/liver sweet spot shot. Also, at these ranges one must consider bullet performance under 2000fps which is limiting in terms of expansion often times.

Last edited:
Smaller target is all IMO, blood flow moves through a smaller channel compared to hitting the plexus or lungs with a shoulder shot, and the spine isn't really a viable target on it's own.

Anyone that's bow hunted knows how fast a deer can move on release, it's almost like watching The Matrix the way they can duck a string. If anything twitches them before a rifle trigger breaks they can move 6-12 inches in a flash and blow the shot. There's no way to readjust, all you can do is stop at that point and reset. If you break a shot 6" high holding on a shoulder you can still get them.

Instead of necks I'm a head shooter when the opportunity presents itself, but ironically I prefer them to be head down when using a rifle, the exact opposite of what you want with an archery body shot. Keeps the head more stable than when they're perked up and looking around, and if I miss I plow the ground and don't wing a bullet out a few hundred yards on accident.

👍 I like this response! Though, I really prefer to bring as much meat home as possible! Through the "slats" behind the shoulder helps with this…..though, they rarely fall DRT!

I grew-up listening to my uncle talk about minimal meat loss….anything in excess of a cup or two of throwaway meat was too much meat loss! memtb
Yet you shoot a 375.............................

Yet you shoot a 375.............................

Your lack of knowledge pertaining to terminal ballists is astounding!

A close range shot with a .375 will produce far less bloodshot meat than an equally placed bullet from the same range as let's say……a 130 grain cup and core bullet from a .270 Win!

So……continue talking from your rectum! memtb

My preference is a behind the shoulder because like 'memtb' I like to bring as much meet home as I can.
At times I will shoot for an anchoring shot if the circumstances make that the best shot to take. For example, if there are a bunch of other hunters out in the area I am hunting and I don't want someone shooting the animal after I've hit it, or I don't want it going into a deep box canyon.
Any shoulder shot ruins a bunch of meat and usually produces secondary projectiles (bones, bullet fragments or both) that cause additional meat damage that I just don't like.
If the circumstances are right, I have and will take a head or neck shot but that's a rare occurrence for me.