Shoulder shots

Onesock

First off just want to ask how many guys here try to shoot animals in the shoulder? Secondly I want to know why? Not trying to be a edited just would like to see the reasons behind this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot base of skull or in the ear when conditions are right, farther back than most when not. I go for the liver and have always thought intentional should shots are asinine. One member did educate me on needing the animal to go down right where shot or not far due to hunting right/land/lease type issues. I don't have that problem so never considered it. That was the only good answer I felt was in the entire thread. YMMV.

High shoulder shots Deer and Elk here for 10 plus years. Works really well with Hard Cast bullets out of 45/70, 444, rifles. Had an elk go down so fast it bounced off its chest. Also with cast you can typically eat up to the hole. Jacketed bullets same shoulder shots just loose a little meat but DRT. When Hunting out west if it does not go DRT you may very well be in for a Journey out of a canyon you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. LOL

I will take a shoulder shot IF needed but i always plan on another round through the lungs if they so much as twitch. Deer I dont worry about a bullet getting through cause anything will bit an elk is a whole different game, shoulder shots that failed to be lethal is the most common wounds Ive seen, i watched so many elk get going again or crawl themselves of with shoulder shots not to mention the meat which is a primary concern!!

I prefer to stay off the shoulder. There's edible bits attached to it. If I have to I will break a shoulder to help anchor the animal if the situation might require it, but I really prefer to have a bullet that will expand and go through the chest cavity just behind the shoulder.

High shoulder shot for me. I want them to go down. I know heart and lung shots are terminal but a whitetail can travel 30-45 seconds after these parts are blown out. They seem to go to the thickest, nastiest stuff they can find to expire and there are some cut-downs, thickets and bays around here that you have to machete your way in and out of, plus moccasin's, copperheads and rattlesnakes.
If the deer is close enough, I have a solid rest, and it's to fill the freezer, I'll shoot it in the head. Messy but highly effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.