Shoulder shots

Yes but they still run away
Yes but with the right caliber and bullet they don't go far before lack of blood stops the eyes and brain from working. With a .30 caliber magnum I have never had a moose go more than 50 yds before running into something or laying down because they could not see properly. I have only killed 12 moose but most have been double lung shots. We all know or have heard about exceptions but of the hundreds of moose which I have been personally told about by friends the double lung shot is a high percentage target compared to trying to break a shoulder or the spine shot.
If you are indeed shooting a .375 I understand your confidence.

My mantra is that I want all the hunting to take place before the shot. I don't want to hunt for the animal after the shot. That being said, and lots of animals through the freezer, in all but two cases did I take anything other than a shoulder shot, Even on quartering away and quartering towards. I want them to stay in the spot that I last saw them. The two exceptions were on two huge antlered whitetails. Both walking away. One was fairly close and had walked out nearly under my stand. It was on a trail and was obvious it wasn't going to give me a look at its shoulder, So I aimed a the back of its neck a couple of inches from the skull. Instant kill. The other was walking away, again on a trail, getting ready to disappear into a thicket. I was shooting from a rest and aimed at the center of the butt. The bullet exited the front chest scrambling everything all the way through. Those two were my only exceptions.
On the subject of pigs. I raise pigs and regularly dispatch pigs in the 400 - 650 lb range. I've taken advantage of the opportunities to use many calibers and many points of aim. The most effective has been a 2 3/4" .410 slug between the eyes, following that a .44mag between the eyes has worked, but not as quickly and effectively as the slug. I have a deer stand near the pig pen and from the stand experimented with a 30-06 with 165gr partitions and a .270 with 150gr partitions. Aiming immediately behind the ear has usually severed the spine, ending things quickly. With the .410 you need to be fairly close, so for a hunting situation it isn't practical.
Texas Heart Shot!!!

Does anyone care about "killing" the animal quickly? I'm hearing a lot of" "drop" the animal quickly because I'm to lazy to track and pack meat out of a rough spot." If you shoot it in the spine at the base of the skull, it will kill the animal quick. If you hit the spine behind the front shoulder, the animal could be alive for the next half hour.

I have always tried to shoot behind the shoulder, to try and get the heart and lungs. The only elk I have ever seen lost with a rifle were shot in the shoulder. I prefer well made bullets that will exit the far side. As far as behind the skull, head shot and all those "perfect shots"; I tend to ditch those for tried and true.

I shot two bulls on a dead run over the years, bullet hit dead center of the body front to back and top to bottom.. They died before they hit the ground. One bull did not kick, the other kicked one hind leg a few times, neither even attempting to get up.

7 mag with 140's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.