Amax vs NBT vs Whitetails.

tbrice23

Last season sold me completely on the terminal performance of Berger VLDs and have had every rifle I load for shoot them with great precision and accuracy with minimal load and seating depth trial.
HOWEVER, my new 16fcss 300WSM is not having anything to do with VLDs. I've tried jumping them out to .080"and up to jamming them .010".
I've tried 185s and 168s.
I've tried imr4350, h4350, rl17, rl19.
I've tried Br2, gm210m, gm215m, WLR primers. All groups over 1".
What it does like is 180gr NBT, 175gr SMK, 168grAMAX and168 hornady BT with groups from .3"to .5" five shot groups. With velocities from 3050 to 3150 and ranges under 500 yards on whitetails does anyone have any preference on 168gr NBT or 168gr Amax at these ranges and velocities?

Try jumping them more (my 6mm Rem takes a jump of .1-.12), if you like the Bergers. Berger also makes a hybrid 168 and 185 hunting bullet.

I have 168 classic hunters on back order. Their BC is a lot better than 168 VLDs almost as good as 175 VLDs.

I just cant find them. I wonder if their terminal performance is as good. But as long as the jacket thickness is the same I'd say that it would have to be.

This barrel shoots Amax's like it owns 'em.

Had a bad experience with 178gr Amax in 300win mag on a 150yd whitetail but I think a 168 at a slightly slower velocity might have better efficiency.

You might want to try the 210 VLD's. The other part of the equation is to try more jump. Try every 30 thousandths out to 150 off of the lands. Berger recommends trying them that far off. Worth a shot. Bruce

In all honesty if I jumped .1" in my 300wsm the ogive would be inside the case neck. That would be horrible for fast feeding if needed. I could forsee bad things happening during a hunt. Nightmare waiting to happen.

Thats why I stopped at .80 jump.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.