162gr Amax vs. Moose?

When the heart is destroyed, it locks oxygenated blood in the animal's organs, allowing it to go a ways, sometimes 100 yards or more.

At least thats my theory on the subject. :rolleyes:

Moose are as susceptible to a heart shot as most things Riley. A lot of variables come into play when they get shot, they can act like you spoiled a nice quiet lunch and browse away from you, the occasional one that puts it in flight mode can stretch those long legs a long ways. What is your theory on how long a heart shot moose will live? A heart is a funny pump made out of tough muscle, hit and destroyed don't always mean the same thing. Google survivability of GSW, and stabs to the heart, consider how long EMS takes to get to them. Sorry if I jumped the track on the thread.

Moose are as susceptible to a heart shot as most things Riley. A lot of variables come into play when they get shot, they can act like you spoiled a nice quiet lunch and browse away from you, the occasional one that puts it in flight mode can stretch those long legs a long ways. What is your theory on how long a heart shot moose will live? A heart is a funny pump made out of tough muscle, hit and destroyed don't always mean the same thing. Google survivability of GSW, and stabs to the heart, consider how long EMS takes to get to them. Sorry if I jumped the track on the thread.

Oh i am not saying that a heart hit wont kill the animal, it definitely will, but they would more than likely go farther than with a double lung hit. But, like you said, lots of variables and exceptions. If the heart is still able to beat after the impact, but the lungs are also hit, then the heart will pump un oxygenated blood through animal's body, and, like you know, the muscles need oxygen to be able to function properly. If just the heart is hit and stops beating, the oxygenated blood is locked into the animals bloodstream, allowing them to be "dead, but dont know it yet". There is, however, a large vein above the heart that, if hit, will cause almost instant death, because of the extreme amount of blood pressure loss. I will google what you told me to.

Riley

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.