178 amax vs 175 smk

Gray R

Hey guys I was wondering which of these would be a better all around bullet for targets and whitetail at distances from 50 on out using a 308 win? I'm sorry if it's been beat to death but I couldn't find that answer. Thanks

Target part first. Depends on what your gun likes as BC and weight is close, my 5R slightly prefers the 178 A-Max, but very close & I would for sure try both.

For hunting, I think the 178 A-Max is fantastic for 308 velocities, near or as far as I want to shoot big game with a 308, they work. Do use some care up close, but up close you can do base of skull or whatever. I love that bullet!

Targets are going to be more often I just get tired of switching. I want one bullet from steel to up close deer shots and long deer shots. The amax sounds about right at probly 2750 at the muzzle. Seems like the most bases covered

The Amax is much more frangible than the SMK. I have shot both from 30 cals accurately. I presently shoot 208 Amax from my 300 WSM and 300 SMK from my 338 Edge. Both are very accurate but I watch shot placement at close range with the Amax. Understand the strengths and weakness of the bullet used and place your shots accordingly.

I may just stick
With NBTs or accubonds. Too many choices I drive myself nuts tryin to figure it out

The 178 is a 1 bullet choice, especially in answering your question because you aren't hunting Elk with it. Deer is a non-issue if you think about what you are doing.

Keep in mind the biggest buck I've killed was 165 pounds. The biggest one I know of locally was 190 so the deer don't get big at all. And no I'm not gonna be doing elk with it unfortunately. One day I'll live in elk country but not yet

The 178 makes a much better bullet for deer than any SMK, IMHO.

I love so many bullets in the 308 win but if I were forced into choosing one bullet for the rest of my life, the 178 amax would likely be at the top of the list.

Insanely accurate and excellent for deer sized critters.

There are much better choices for a given application but all things considered, it's a great balance for a wide variety of applications. Assuming you're getting good speeds that is.

2700-2800 is very doable. At 2700+, they'll give you a good range on deer. A little weak in the wind but with a little practice, tolerable.

Yeah I appreciate it mr eichele that's gonna be what I do. After your message I got on to buy em and they're out of stock so I'm waitin on a response from a seller on gunbroker so we'll see. I certainly appreciate the input from more practiced people!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.