Am I the only one still using a sling?

myshootinstinks

I remember bipods coming into style back in the '80s. I have tried them but not my cup'o tea. I do use a shooting stick for standing shots occasionally. It's primary purpose is a walking stick for the steep, rocky, slopes.
When I say sling I'm not talking about a common strap, Cobra, etc. used to carry the rifle. Sling to me is the old 1907 sling that we used to see everywhere, originally on the GI issued '03 Springfields I believe. With your arm wrapped into the front of a good stiff sling it gives you a very solid and stable shotting position. It works very well prone or sitting but also can benefit a standing shot.
There are also more modern versions of this sling that are lighter and work just as well.

Last edited:
I always use a sling for shooting as well. Browning used to sell the lightning sling! Quick to adjust. Now I can only find knock offs that are similar. I have trying to teach my kid to shoot wrapped up in a sling.

NO Slings, in My Family anymore, just Kifaru Gun Bearers on, EXO Packs ( Packs carry,.. Water, Snacks, extra Jacket, Gloves & fleece Face masks, Sleeping Pad for Naps, Knife & Kill kit, plus,.. Survival chit, ) THEN we use those stuffed packs, on our Thigh's to support the Toe of Rifle when shooting, over Stix ( sitting on sidehills to, 400 yds ) or use pack as a Rest for, Prone shot support, when shooting Longer Ranges, using, a small,.. "Toe Rest".

Last edited:
Yupp. I love the MRT loop slings. I have few of themn and I even snap in with it in multiple positions. Although, the sitting and kneeling are beginning to hurt the old joints.

I still sling up depending on the situation. If sitting with shooting sticks and a backpack as a rear bag I'll still sling up.

I was just showing a buddy of mine yesterday how to cuff up a rifle with a sling. All my rifles have them. I actually shot my first deer slinged up. Gun store near me makes his own quick cuff slings and they are fantastic. When hunting my rifle is either strapped on my pack or in my hands.

I don't use a sling for shooting……my rifle has the sling swivel welded to the barrel, I'm concerned that using the sling will change barrel harmonics……altering the zero.

I use shooting sticks much like the OP, though mine are not long enough for a standing shot!

My wife like to go to a sitting position, and use the sling. I've seen her make a few pretty remarkable shots at distance that way. memtb

Gave up on the sling in the 80's. Quickly found time it takes to get slung, snugged in, positioned, etc. the animals were gone or moved. Used my pack, log, rock, or just held it and had better success. Today its a Harris or my pack still.

I remember bipods coming into style back in the '80s. I have tried them but not my cup'o tea. I do use a shooting stick for standing shots occasionally. It's primary purpose is a walking stick for the steep, rocky, slopes.
When I say sling I'm not talking about a common strap, Cobra, etc. used to carry the rifle. Sling to me is the old 1907 sling that we used to see everywhere, originally on the GI issued '03 Springfields I believe. With your arm wrapped into the front of a good stiff sling it gives you a very solid and stable shotting position. It works very well prone or sitting but also can benefit a standing shot.
There are also more modern versions of this sling that are lighter and work just as well.
We still use them. As a previous comp shooter who used them in NM, Prone, Small Bore, etc, they still work today as then. However, we also use other stabilizers as needed.

A Montana sling is all I have used since they came along. Before that was an adjustable leather sling. I use a sling to shoot as well.....nothing else except a tree if one is around.