Am I overlooking any options?

Lovellr653

I have been trying to find the "perfect" scope for my Tikka 260Rem which will be used for hunting deer sized game from point blank out to 500 yds. The only thing that I've found that checks all the boxes thus far is the VX-5HD with HTMR reticle or the Razor LHT. My first hand experience with the Razor LHT was not good and I will not be purchasing that scope. For the sake of consistency I am trying to get all my scopes from here on out in mils. I have been searching high and low for other options both in the forums and comparing spec on websites. I now put it out to you folks, have I overlooked any options? What I'm looking for is as follows...

Maximum weight 30oz. (ideally <25oz)
Exposed elevation turret w/ zero stop.
mils.
Maximum 14" in length (thinking for balance and overall appearance on a petite rifle, 14" may even be a stretch)
44-50mm objective
top end magnification somewhere between 15-18x
$1500 max (perhaps a hair more if it really made sense)
F1 or F2 though I'm leaning towards F2 for ease of use while hunting timber. Realistically I would dial elevation if needed and don't anticipate holding over.
no preference on illumination

It seems there are a lot of offerings that are close but not exactly what I'm looking for e.g. Triji Tenmile HX (long), Leica Amplus 6 (long), Zeiss V4 (MOA) etc. I am by no means an expert so I am open to suggestions or constructive criticism in my choice of desired specs.

0095E934-A38B-419C-A8D0-28F92A9C9679.jpeg
Currently have a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 on the rifle, this will get moved to a different gun.

I just went through a similar search. I also wanted SFP and Mils. I didn't set a weight limit. Second Focal Plane and Mils was a hard to find combo. I came across the Tenmile options as you mentioned.

If you go to Eurooptic.com there's a Demo Nightforce NX8's just above your budget ($1615). SFP, in Mils. that has a nice, open reticle for hunting:

1639077485440.png

I'd be curious to know what your negative experience was with the LHT. I got one this year and love it.
The illumination feature stopped working first time out to the range, the magnification ring was incredibly stiff to rotate. What got me the most though was the soft and squishy elevation adjustment, didn't seem to index real well and was hard to feel adjustments. Not writing off Vortex all together, just wasn't impressed with the optic for the price.

Out of the scopes you listed the VX5HD with a windplex reticle is my favorite. I also have a Razor LHT and it gets the job done for a lighter weight option.

Right now I have been moving all my rifles over to Maven RS.5's 4-24x50, it is 0.5 oz heavier and 0.4" longer than your listed ideal specs, but something I would consider or at least purchase to get your hands on and return if you do not like it. I now have 3 with no issues on my 338 RUM, 300 WM, and a 6.5 PRC.

I just went through a similar search. I also wanted SFP and Mils. I didn't set a weight limit. Second Focal Plane and Mils was a hard to find combo. I came across the Tenmile options as you mentioned.

If you go to Eurooptic.com there's a Demo Nightforce NX8's just above your budget ($1615). SFP, in Mils. that has a nice, open reticle for hunting:
I keep going back and looking at the Demo NX8s. I'm a bit nervous to buy one based on how many I see used for sale on forums and the small eye box/ exit pupil.

I would have expected in a detailed list of requirements if you want FFP or SFP.... 😊

Then again, if you don't expect to hold over, that's really a mute point, and SFP would be best for ideal reticle thickness...

Hope you find something good. 👍🏼
Matthias

Out of the scopes you listed the VX5HD with a windplex reticle is my favorite. I also have a Razor LHT and it gets the job done for a lighter weight option.

Right now I have been moving all my rifles over to Maven RS.5's 4-24x50, it is 0.5 oz heavier and 0.4" longer than your listed specs, but something I would consider or at least purchase to get your hands on and return if you do not like it. I now have 3 with no issues on my 338 RUM, 300 WM, and a 6.5 PRC.
Hadn't thought of looking at Maven, thank you. You must like them if you've got 3.

I would have expected in a detailed list of requirements if you want FFP or SFP.... 😊

Then again, if you don't expect to hold over, that's really a mute point, and SFP would be best for ideal reticle thickness...

Hope you find something good. 👍🏼
Matthias
All my hunting scopes so far have been F2 and my precision stuff is F1. I like both but don't feel strongly one way or the other for this particular application. Mute point like you say.

The illumination feature stopped working first time out to the range, the magnification ring was incredibly stiff to rotate. What got me the most though was the soft and squishy elevation adjustment, didn't seem to index real well and was hard to feel adjustments. Not writing off Vortex all together, just wasn't impressed with the optic for the price.
Yes, definitely harder to turn, but it is loosening on mine. I didn't have any issues with my turret feel. I wonder of its difference in personal preference or manufacturing tolerances? I have never turned on my illumination.

Either way, to each their own. I'm not trying to change your mind, I was just curious. I REALLY love the reticle though. I don't know of any other options because my search had similar parameters and led me to the LHT. I replaced a VX-3i with wind plex reticle and considered the LHT and VX5. The longer main tube of the Vortex was required because the scope went on a long action Savage without a rail.

Yes, definitely harder to turn, but it is loosening on mine. I didn't have any issues with my turret feel. I wonder of its difference in personal preference or manufacturing tolerances? I have never turned on my illumination.

Either way, to each their own. I'm not trying to change your mind, I was just curious. I REALLY love the reticle though. I don't know of any other options because my search had similar parameters and led me to the LHT. I replaced a VX-3i with wind plex reticle and considered the LHT and VX5. The longer main tube of the Vortex was required because the scope went on a long action Savage without a rail.
I too love the reticle on the LHT. He may have just had a scope made on a Monday for all I know.

I too love the reticle on the LHT. He may have just had a scope made on a Monday for all I know.

Lol I think that is just the LHT. If you are willing to live with the stiff magnification ring and plastic feel of elevation turret it is a solid scope. I still run one on a 308. It is still a lot of features for the $$.

BTW the Maven have a deal right now.

Antelopedundee on here has good deals on Leupolds....had red dots just a bit ago.....
44mm obj is nice...but having shot a 260 for a while and now shooting my 65284s...i think 4.5-14x40 are just the right size on the smaller rifles....
I just put a 3-15x44 on a 65284...i like the clarity...and feels better while using with glasses with trifocals....