Allen magnum

Kirby I don't think he rubbed you the wrong way at all. I think he was stating an opinion and that's what America is about: Freedom. In my opinion I think your work is great. But I was really surprised that you stepped in on this one. I really didn't think anything he had to say was bad or wrong about you. From what I gathered he is an old benchrest shooter that knows his way around a gun. He wasn't stating that the guy shouldn't do buisness with you, he was merely making a point that there are ways to get a similar product on a budget. I'm a do it your selfer and will try to learn anything to get out of somebody else doing it for me. That's the way I am. I don't like people messing with my stuff. I have gun work done only because I have to many hobbies to learn the trade. Sorry for the heat I just didn't think this guy deserves to be tore up. Keep up the good work.

Tracey

Thank-you.

James

If I decide to take an existing case and neck it up/down and change the body taper/shoulder angle and go to all the bother to make the reamer(s) for it I don't steal anybody idea, even thought it may correspond to, or be very close to someone elses idea.

If one takes enough care in the whole process the new idea will shoot just as well as the other ideas do. The internal balistics don't care if the idea is named Allen, Weatherby, Lapua or Kunda. One may take the credit of being the first, but that's about all.

Peter

My point eaxactly!

James

Quote:
And when that happens, you can obtain a fired case and have a reamer and gages made from it. Then, have your gunsmith of choosing do the work for you.

That is what is known as intellectual theft. While it is not unlawful, it is dishonest.

That is what is known as intellectual theft. While it is not unlawful, it is dishonest.

Don't misread the posting or guide it incorrectly to cast me as a dishonest person. I never implied or said to bypass Kirby in getting the fired casing to use as a guide for reamer manufacture. I bet he would gladly provide cases for folks to use for reamer manufacture so they could have "Allen Magnums" built. I don't think Kirby would be so greedy to require all the "Allen Magnums" be built by him. I may be wrong and if I am I apologize, but I think there are actual "Allen Magnum" reamers out there at gunshops that Kirby does not own. Heck, the more "Allen Magnums" out there the more Kirby benefits (free advertisement). Ever heard of P.O. Ackley or Roy Weatherby? They did not require their chamber be installed with permission. Their specific case designs are out there at reamer shops all over the world.

Now, if you take Kirby's specific case design and rename it the "Buffalobob's phallic desire", then that is truly dishonest. However, If you design your own case from the ground up and name it "Buffalobob's phallic desire" then that is fine as long as you did not use Kirby's "Allen Magnum" as a basis for your "phallic desire". Many of you "honest" guys have taken a dishonest viepoint of my posting and that makes me question your personal honesty at the basic level Buffalobob!!!!!!!!!!!!

James

Lightvarmint,

There aren't very many people that have the absolute correct answers to so many different subjects as you. You are truely one of God's chosen, as is your smith that regularly puts out rifles that shoot in the 0s while you wait at the counter for him to complete your custom work. Do you have quite a few world records by now? It would be a shame to waste the potential of your rifles on varmints only, and not share the magic with the rest of the rifle world. Perhaps that's what you're doing on this forum. You must be a living legend in your own mind. I don't know what we ever did before you, or what we'll do after you... it could be hopeless.

Lightvarmint,

There aren't very many people that have the absolute correct answers to so many different subjects as you. You are truely one of God's chosen, as is your smith that regularly puts out rifles that shoot in the 0s while you wait at the counter for him to complete your custom work. Do you have quite a few world records by now? It would be a shame to waste the potential of your rifles on varmints only, and not share the magic with the rest of the rifle world. Perhaps that's what you're doing on this forum. You must be a living legend in your own mind. I don't know what we ever did before you, or what we'll do after you... it could be hopeless.

AMEN
If we all quit responding maybe this will stop here!!

Poor choice

If anybody thinks,that chambering barrels with a self designed line of cartridges based on existing cases will make him rich, he is sadly mistaking.

Peter

It does not happen often but enough that it makes me laugh a bit when someone makes a post specifically asking about the "Allen Magnums" and then when I post simple, clear specific information about them, there are those few that just can not help themselves from coming out of the woodwork and saying all I do is advertise on LRH.com

For anyone wanting information on the Allen Magnums, or Allen Xpress or Allen Tactical wildcats, please contact me via PM or at the e-mail address below. I am always happy to talk about anything firearm related. Plus it will keep those who are just looking to pick a fight off the topic and we can just have a good conversation about rifles and chamberings.

Kirby Allen(50)

LightVarmint,​

I think you know him VERY well, intimately in fact!!!;) Now I know what I suspected about you and your comments is in fact true.​

Kirby Allen(50)​

I would just like to add that although I am just a kid, I have asked Kirby about his chamberings and other things several times, and he always responds quickly and courteously. Others assume I don't understand as much about firearm, try to give me some refresher course, etc. Kirby tells me what I need to know and does it in a very nice way. If I could afford it, or do it legally, he would be building me rifles. Prepare for some business from me in a couple years. :D

And if you would please lightvarmint, who is the smith who builds rifles that always shoot in the .1's, and sometimes .0s? Quite amazing.

Last edited:
I'm done with thread as I got my .02 out there on the subject, however I'm very surprised at the shocking jaw drops that there is actually people capable of building a rifle that shoots in the .1's. Does anybody pay attention to benchrest around here? If your a top end benchrest shooter and you don't have a rifle that can shoot in the .1's your screwed! There's plenty of rifles shooting in the ones and plenty of guys building them. From what I'm getting out of kirby's last post he may well know who this guy's gunsmith is.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.