338 Allen Magnum

Bghunter338

Ok I see other threads on calibers that guys are building and I love that they do. I have learned more by ready posts on here in the last two years than I have shooting all my life. Yes I'm not perfect or claim to be. I'm still learning and finding out about new stuff all the time. I know there's a bunch of 338 guys on here and come to be really good friends with some off you all. Well I started out 16 years old with my dad's 308 norma mag. Shortly after that I had enough pig money to buy my first rifle a 30-06. As I got in to loading about the same time I ended up getting a 338 win mag around 19. That became my favorite rifle and we have taken many game together from mule deer to antelope. Years go by and I venture in the 270 and 7mm realm where I'm still at. Some of you ive had a lot of conversations with about them. Well two years ago I decided to venture back in the 338 realm and ordered a 338am. I know there's not alot of information on them so I decided to start this thread on it and my finds with it. So follow along and I'll post my progress as it happens. Thanks for reading along with me and sorry it turned out a little winded.

Attachments

• 20230510_125322.jpg
    20230510_125322.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 188
  • 20230510_125327.jpg
    20230510_125327.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 180
  • 20230510_125332.jpg
    20230510_125332.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • received_1257366145207444.jpeg
    received_1257366145207444.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 20230510_185853.jpg
    20230510_185853.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
  • 20230516_001721.jpg
    20230516_001721.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
  • 34085.jpeg
    34085.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 226
Ok I see other threads on calibers that guys are building and I love that they do. I have learned more by ready posts on here in the last two years than I have shooting all my life. Yes I'm not perfect or claim to be. I'm still learning and finding out about new stuff all the time. I know there's a bunch of 338 guys on here and come to be really good friends with some off you all. Well I started out 16 years old with my dad's 308 norma mag. Shortly after that I had enough pig money to buy my first rifle a 30-06. As I got in to loading about the same time I ended up getting a 338 win mag around 19. That became my favorite rifle and we have taken many game together from mule deer to antelope. Years go by and I venture in the 270 and 7mm realm where I'm still at. Some of you ive had a lot of conversations with about them. Well two years ago I decided to venture back in the 338 realm and ordered a 338am. I know there's not alot of information on them so I decided to start this thread on it and my finds with it. So follow along and I'll post my progress as it happens. Thanks for reading along with me and sorry it turned out a little winded.
Love to hear how it shoots. Kirby was fun to chat with back years ago on here. I loved the specs on his rifles but I didn't want to wait. He shoots the actual distance in the field to verify Allen Mags. I think his daughter helps him now shoot them at distance. I use a 340 wby a lot in Alaska but it kicks also so I think the A.M. would help with a few hundred ft/s and longer pills. Bears are easy to see on the hillside but once in the alders it's harder to see them.

Love seeing those .338s!!!!

BAD ARSE, period!!!

I loooooooove it!!!!!!

And if that's "long winded" I shudder to think what some of my posts would be called 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's a beast of a cartridge. Kirby Allen is forever an inspiration and if enough money fell into my lap to take care of bills and debts and kids and such with real spare change left over he'd be about the first person I'd be talking to about building me a rifle. I've been in awe of his work for over a decade now.

I have some 275gr bulldozers loaded for a pressure test but he was getting 3200+ with the 300gr otms when testing it.
3200 sounds like a mild load for that monster. I have 2 buddies that have 338 AM's and one ram a 300 grain bullet at 3450 fps. It is one of the best man portable ELR hunting rifles in existence.

3200 sounds like a mild load for that monster. I have 2 buddies that have 338 AM's and one ram a 300 grain bullet at 3450 fps. It is one of the best man portable ELR hunting rifles in existence.
Agreed. Both about the mild load and the best portable elr rifle.

When I consider that my MUCH smaller case .358 Norma (with its 27 inch barrel) can make a 280 grain a frame do 2800 fps you'd think that something this enormous out of a longer pipe would beat it be a lot more than this…

When I consider that my MUCH smaller case .358 Norma (with its 27 inch barrel) can make a 280 grain a frame do 2800 fps you'd think that something this enormous out of a longer pipe would beat it be a lot more than this…
Agreed, I will be posting results along the way. We I'll see what she can do.

I see you guys are loosing more gun rights. It's off the subject line, but just wondering?

Recent Posts