338 Allen Magnum

I didn't realize just how big the case is. Makes my 338WM look like a slow boat to china!😊 Need a truck load of power to load the case.
141grs of Hodgdon H50BMG so far is been the max with the 275gr bulldozer. I was able to shot it finally by shooting my pressure latter, but I got to excited shooting it I forgot to set up the Chronograph 😒😂.
But here's the last two shots out of the 5 I had loaded. Mind you Kirby sifted this in at 300 with 300gr otm's. The first 3 where on a 400 plate so I decided to see if this would drop at 500 but it was al.ost dead on.

20230521_160333~2.jpg

And here is the brass from 141gr where I stopped. It had a little bit of a stiff bolt lift at the very end of lifting.

ymail-tmp-6027047668879129549.jpg

I can't wait to get back out there and shoot it some more and yes I promise to Chronograph it this time lol. It's going to be a little while though I just had a complete knee replacement last Thursday.

Me
141grs of Hodgdon H50BMG so far is been the max with the 275gr bulldozer. I was able to shot it finally by shooting my pressure latter, but I got to excited shooting it I forgot to set up the Chronograph 😒😂.
But here's the last two shots out of the 5 I had loaded. Mind you Kirby sifted this in at 300 with 300gr otm's. The first 3 where on a 400 plate so I decided to see if this would drop at 500 but it was al.ost dead on.

View attachment 469916

And here is the brass from 141gr where I stopped. It had a little bit of a stiff bolt lift at the very end of lifting.

View attachment 469917

I can't wait to get back out there and shoot it some more and yes I promise to Chronograph it this time lol. It's going to be a little while though I just had a complete knee replacement last Thursday.

Here's hoping you recover from that fast. I know nothing about these things from my own experience but know a ton of people who have had these things done (and my mother had 5 big knee surgeries starting when she was 13 before finally having the leg amputated) and I believe for most people the hardest thing isn't the pain, it's the not being able to do things!

Know a guy from church who had a gallstone attack, a heart attack, and a freaking car accident all in the space of two weeks a few winters ago (accident caused by having heart attack while driving) and a month after all his surgeries his wife appeals to me to try to talk some sense into the guy (I was the pastor of said church back then) cuz he was determined those doctors were full of it and he was fine to go shovel snow! 😁🤣. The guy hated having to sit still. I did manage to persuade him, along with his wife and kids, to maybe listen to the doctor haha

Me

Here's hoping you recover from that fast. I know nothing about these things from my own experience but know a ton of people who have had these things done (and my mother had 5 big knee surgeries starting when she was 13 before finally having the leg amputated) and I believe for most people the hardest thing isn't the pain, it's the not being able to do things!

Know a guy from church who had a gallstone attack, a heart attack, and a freaking car accident all in the space of two weeks a few winters ago (accident caused by having heart attack while driving) and a month after all his surgeries his wife appeals to me to try to talk some sense into the guy (I was the pastor of said church back then) cuz he was determined those doctors were full of it and he was fine to go shovel snow! 😁🤣. The guy hated having to sit still. I did manage to persuade him, along with his wife and kids, to maybe listen to the doctor haha
Holly cow, that's crazy!! Well I can attest to the not being able to do anything. It's driving me crazy 🤪. I have all this time and I can't even get of the couch right now with out help, let along go out to my loading room where I want to be lol. It sucks I'm not going to lie.

Holly cow, that's crazy!! Well I can attest to the not being able to do anything. It's driving me crazy 🤪. I have all this time and I can't even get of the couch right now with out help, let along go out to my loading room where I want to be lol. It sucks I'm not going to lie.
And here I've been grumpy after getting my bottom wisdom tooth pulled last Thursday 🤣. Reverse psychology…if we're told we can't have or do something we immediately need it! All the instructions on avoiding dry socket were like "no crunchy foods, no very hot or cold beverages, no alcohol, no strenuous exercise, no spicy food, nothing carbonated, no smoking or drinking from a straw….."

And normally this would be a weird combo but I thought "well dang it if I don't desperately desire to drink some carbonated alcohol through a straw while smoking a big cigar and munching on some jalapeños…perhaps while lifting weights🤣"

View attachment 469916

View attachment 469917

Looks like some ejector marks on the base. Primer is flat. That still is quite a case!!!

Last edited:
I still have a couple brass pieces as memories of a 375 Allen magnum I shot (didn't own but know a guy who did)

Absolute beast of a cartridge, Kirby builds some unbelievably accurate rifles. That one shot 1/3moa at 1000 and under 1moa at a mile plus

I have some 275gr bulldozers loaded for a pressure test but he was getting 3200+ with the 300gr otms when testing it.
Well that well beyond what I get out of my 338WM. I use a 200gr Nosler in Ruger Mark 11. with a 24" barrel, I am loading 75.5grs of W760, with a fed 210 primer. Getting 3230fps out of if, and deadly accuratic. I see it's a slow boat to china now. It does what I want and have no wish to have bigger 338 built.
I used a 308 NM for years, and taken several elk with it. Most everything in one shot kills. That I run 1 165gs Nosler BT or AB @ 3300fps. Again Fed 210 primers, H4350 @ 75.5 grs. These powder are way over manual reloading info. Becarefull loading that much in your rifle. Work up going at no more that .5grs each load about max load in manual. One more item. Try neck sizing only with the belted mag, Should get cut down on case separation at the base. 300 mag easy be resize to 308NM cases. The other is you can create top of the line brass by sizing either Peternson or Lapua 300WM base to 308NM brass. You may aleady know about it. Just .02c being added.
The Allen 338 Mag is more than I want to handle. So, I'll just watch.
Wish you luck and reading here will gain you a lot of information. Certainly has open my eyes up.

Well that well beyond what I get out of my 338WM. I use a 200gr Nosler in Ruger Mark 11. with a 24" barrel, I am loading 75.5grs of W760, with a fed 210 primer. Getting 3230fps out of if, and deadly accuratic. I see it's a slow boat to china now. It does what I want and have no wish to have bigger 338 built.
I used a 308 NM for years, and taken several elk with it. Most everything in one shot kills. That I run 1 165gs Nosler BT or AB @ 3300fps. Again Fed 210 primers, H4350 @ 75.5 grs. These powder are way over manual reloading info. Becarefull loading that much in your rifle. Work up going at no more that .5grs each load about max load in manual. One more item. Try neck sizing only with the belted mag, Should get cut down on case separation at the base. 300 mag easy be resize to 308NM cases. The other is you can create top of the line brass by sizing either Peternson or Lapua 300WM base to 308NM brass. You may aleady know about it. Just .02c being added.
The Allen 338 Mag is more than I want to handle. So, I'll just watch.
Wish you luck and reading here will gain you a lot of information. Certainly has open my eyes up.
Thank you Mike, it's funny you have a 308 norma. I say that because it's the first rifle I used growing up. I come from a poor family and I had to use my dad's rifle for several years before I was able to get one of my own. Well I have the rifle now and will never get rid of it. I've been thinking about reconditioning it and using it this year on a cow hunt in remembrance of my father. He built it from a rifle that my grandfather brought back from WWll. It's been many years since I've even shot it. I'm sure I'll have to do load work up on it do to more powders out now then we had back then.

Thank you Mike, it's funny you have a 308 norma. I say that because it's the first rifle I used growing up. I come from a poor family and I had to use my dad's rifle for several years before I was able to get one of my own. Well I have the rifle now and will never get rid of it. I've been thinking about reconditioning it and using it this year on a cow hunt in remembrance of my father. He built it from a rifle that my grandfather brought back from WWll. It's been many years since I've even shot it. I'm sure I'll have to do load work up on it do to more powders out now then we had back then.
Mine, and my 2 boys have one on Mauser 98 actions. It was the forerunner of the 300WM. I had 7.65 Mauser starting out and moved into a 300 H&H Mag. at age 14 with reload equipment. That started me into reloading. Couldn't afford factory ammo at the time. It was so much cheaper the factory ammo.

Recent Posts