338 Allen Magnum

Thank you Mike, it's funny you have a 308 norma. I say that because it's the first rifle I used growing up. I come from a poor family and I had to use my dad's rifle for several years before I was able to get one of my own. Well I have the rifle now and will never get rid of it. I've been thinking about reconditioning it and using it this year on a cow hunt in remembrance of my father. He built it from a rifle that my grandfather brought back from WWll. It's been many years since I've even shot it. I'm sure I'll have to do load work up on it do to more powders out now then we had back then.
Another trick on 308 NM. You can use a 300 WM neck sizing die instead of having to order out a 308NM neck sizing die. It doesn't size the complete neck. I found that was better for alining the case in the chamber. That where I stop the case separation base. I lost my cases after that do to primer pocket got to big in 10 to 12 firing. My loads are hot. flatten primers, no creatoring of primers. That's where I stop at for powder loads. Becareful on using IMR powder, Temp sensitive! That was one of the reasons I use H powders. The 300 WM can more velocity than the 308 NM. Generally 100fps.

Mine, and my 2 boys have one on Mauser 98 actions. It was the forerunner of the 300WM. I had 7.65 Mauser starting out and moved into a 300 H&H Mag. at age 14 with reload equipment. That started me into reloading. Couldn't afford factory ammo at the time. It was so much cheaper the factory ammo.
Believe it or not my grandmother used a 300 h&h when she hunted. But that was before my time. Here's a picture of my mom next to grandma with a deer she shot with it.

IMG_20220216_184436651.jpg
IMG_20220216_184441835.jpg

Your mon is something to handle a 300 H&H, My farther didn't hunt deer. I did as early as I became legal to hunt deer. Thanks for sending the pictures. I find that very interesting. It's make me happy when people past it down to the next generation. My sons are doing the same. The boys I when to school with only 1 or 2 carried the hunting forward. Most didn't hand it down either. SAD!
Couple more thing on that 308NM. After resizing 300WM cases to 308NM. Anneal them at least onces. At the time I was shooting my 308NM I was loosing cases do to neck splits after fire-forming the case. The 300 WM case after being resized to 308NM cases will need to be trim to length. Anneal one time afterward would stop it.

Your mon is something to handle a 300 H&H, My farther didn't hunt deer. I did as early as I became legal to hunt deer. Thanks for sending the pictures. I find that very interesting. It's make me happy when people past it down to the next generation. My sons are doing the same. The boys I when to school with only 1 or 2 carried the hunting forward. Most didn't hand it down either. SAD!
Couple more thing on that 308NM. After resizing 300WM cases to 308NM. Anneal them at least onces. At the time I was shooting my 308NM I was loosing cases do to neck splits after fire-forming the case. The 300 WM case after being resized to 308NM cases will need to be trim to length. Anneal one time afterward would stop it.
My mom is the little girl in that picture, standing by my grandma. Grandpa wasn't very lucky as a hunter. He told me once they just take him for an extra tag lol 😆. My dad was either out driving truck or gone in the military somewhere so I grew up hunting with my best friend and his dad. Later as I grew up and dad became retired is when we got to hunt together.

Thank you for the advice on the brass it's much appreciated.