Alberta may kill thousands of wolves

Heres the skinny on the whole predator thing.

At this very moment the predator prey relationship has never been more out-of-whack, than at any other time in the recordable history of North American Man.

Think about this. The top predators ALWAYS compete for the same food source. So much so that they will go out of there way to kill competing preditors of their own or other species at any available opportunity. More so when food becomes scarce. Man as a top predator has taken this roll and run with it since the early dawn of the human race.

What has changed this in recent history??????

Easy the endagered species act.

Man has been THEE top predator and now we have been restricted from that position.

The diference is Man has always had a certain amount of self control and self preservation, knowing that for long term sustainability we need to conserve the resource. Hunting/gathering evolved into farming both plant and livestock. We learned to manage the resource for long term sustainability.

Top animal predators have NO understanding or comprehension of this and will destroy the prey base and themselves if allowed to. And that is EXACTLY what the ESA and the tree hugging hippies of this country are allowing them to do.

What ****es me off the most is; 99% of sportsmen are a bunch of *******.

Some woman with harry legs and armpits, can climb a **** tree, and live in it for 6 months to save some stupid owl, and a properly bred deer hunter can't grow the balls to pull the trigger on a hybreed, imported, invasive canine.

For Heaven sake lets take back the position of top predator.

ATH, You are probably right. I probably do give the feds to much credit but they may claim ignorance but not guilt while at the same time saying we need to do something about this under their breath.

As far as the radical environmentalist goes; nothing will change their mind until something happens to them. I tried for a long time to get permission from a lady that owned about 3000 acres to hunt coyotes. She asked me on several occasions why did I want to just kill one of gods creatures just for the fun of killing one. I very politely explained (because I still wanted a chance to hunt her property, even if only a small chance) the fact that the coyote population was exploding and it was only a matter of time before she stopped seeing the fawns and turkeys that she was so fond of. Left her my number and left it at that. The following spring I got a call from her saying that there were two coyotes tearing away at one of her prize Angus calves before it was half way out of the birth canal. What she said to me was astonishing; "I want them dead. I want them ALL dead". Needless to say I hunted her place pretty regularly for a while.

What ****es me off the most is; 99% of sportsmen are a bunch of *******..

Not only that but they are lazy to boot. The numbers of sportsman that actually give of their time and money to help with this cause is disgusting! I sometimes wonder what we really stand for in this country anymore.

The problem is really pretty simple. We purposefully, artificially inflated the numbers of big game animals through sound management and conservation practices because that is what the specific States and their citizenry wanted. Then comes the ESA and the environmental wackos that want to introduce new predators that can't legally be managed. So we have a food source being managed for growth while a top predator is allowed to grow unfettered. A certain recipe for disaster for our big game herds and eventually for the predators as well.

Idaho is a classic example. Back in the 70's and early 80's there were very few elk in the State. Fish and Game started small herds and did a good job of managing them and the proof was in the tremendous numbers we had in the late 90's. Then comes the wolf and everyone knows the rest of the story. Propagandist biologists can try to blame it on habitat all they want but everyone that spends time in the mountains sees this for what it is.

Unfortunately this wolf topic is a small headline in a much bigger story that is happening all over the country right now. Our fundamental freedoms and and liberties, property rights, and constitutional rights are being attacked at every angle possible in an attempt to overwhelm the system and the good folks in this country. There is well funded push toward a new system of government much more bent on utilitarian control similar to the police states of Russia and Germany, Italy and China under Mau. We think we are free in this country but I ask you to ponder exactly in what way are we free? What faction of our lives does the government not have its hand in?

If the good folks of this country don't wake up we are going to loose this country that we love and we will never get her back again. I fear the complacency from many in this country have already doomed us.

Our founding fathers sacrificed their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor for this country. I wonder what we are willing to sacrifice to keep her?

Heres the skinny on the whole predator thing.

At this very moment the predator prey relationship has never been more out-of-whack, than at any other time in the recordable history of North American Man.

Think about this. The top predators ALWAYS compete for the same food source. So much so that they will go out of there way to kill competing preditors of their own or other species at any available opportunity. More so when food becomes scarce. Man as a top predator has taken this roll and run with it since the early dawn of the human race.

What has changed this in recent history??????

Easy the endagered species act.

Man has been THEE top predator and now we have been restricted from that position.

The diference is Man has always had a certain amount of self control and self preservation, knowing that for long term sustainability we need to conserve the resource. Hunting/gathering evolved into farming both plant and livestock. We learned to manage the resource for long term sustainability.

Top animal predators have NO understanding or comprehension of this and will destroy the prey base and themselves if allowed to. And that is EXACTLY what the ESA and the tree hugging hippies of this country are allowing them to do.

What ****es me off the most is; 99% of sportsmen are a bunch of *******.

Some woman with harry legs and armpits, can climb a **** tree, and live in it for 6 months to save some stupid owl, and a properly bred deer hunter can't grow the balls to pull the trigger on a hybreed, imported, invasive canine.

For Heaven sake lets take back the position of top predator.

You're bang on here. I have never seen as many wolves, coyotes, and cougars than the past few years. Numbers are way out of control, especially of the wolf numbers in Alberta.

I'll shoot as many as I can find.

One wolf in an area I know killed off almost all the deer over a 10 year run. Until he too was killed. They are really Hungry animals and will eat daily. Numbers have to be reduced. I'd rather have a lion in my backyard. They will eat the best meat first and then move down the food chain.

...................................................................................................The following spring I got a call from her saying that there were two coyotes tearing away at one of her prize Angus calves before it was half way out of the birth canal. What she said to me was astonishing; "I want them dead. I want them ALL dead". Needless to say I hunted her place pretty regularly for a while.

Then what happened??

Wolf sightings were common where I lived in northern Minnesota. In spite of that, we had a very large deer population. I think our wolves were eating a lot more than deer. I think some of them had an appetite for fowl and rabbits in the warmer months. But the wolf population has exploded there lately, and will need to be brought down, due to the treehuggers.

Why does everybody think trapping and shooting when it comes to wolves? Why not get some Borzoi dogs and have some fun, the way the Russians have done? And some of them still use Borzoi, it would seem. Snowmobiles and helicopters have taken the place of the Borzoi in Russian wolf depredation hunts. Those into the sport of it still use the Borzoi to catch and hold wolves. I'm sure some Russian would love to seel you some hunting stock for breeding. What you have seen over here is probably from show stock. There are at least three types of Borzoi that I know about, roughly divided into Russian (western), Crimean (southern) and Siberian (eastern) types.

Not only that but they are lazy to boot. The numbers of sportsman that actually give of their time and money to help with this cause is disgusting! I sometimes wonder what we really stand for in this country anymore.

The problem is really pretty simple. We purposefully, artificially inflated the numbers of big game animals through sound management and conservation practices because that is what the specific States and their citizenry wanted. Then comes the ESA and the environmental wackos that want to introduce new predators that can't legally be managed. So we have a food source being managed for growth while a top predator is allowed to grow unfettered. A certain recipe for disaster for our big game herds and eventually for the predators as well.

Idaho is a classic example. Back in the 70's and early 80's there were very few elk in the State. Fish and Game started small herds and did a good job of managing them and the proof was in the tremendous numbers we had in the late 90's. Then comes the wolf and everyone knows the rest of the story. Propagandist biologists can try to blame it on habitat all they want but everyone that spends time in the mountains sees this for what it is.

Unfortunately this wolf topic is a small headline in a much bigger story that is happening all over the country right now. Our fundamental freedoms and and liberties, property rights, and constitutional rights are being attacked at every angle possible in an attempt to overwhelm the system and the good folks in this country. There is well funded push toward a new system of government much more bent on utilitarian control similar to the police states of Russia and Germany, Italy and China under Mau. We think we are free in this country but I ask you to ponder exactly in what way are we free? What faction of our lives does the government not have its hand in?

If the good folks of this country don't wake up we are going to loose this country that we love and we will never get her back again. I fear the complacency from many in this country have already doomed us.

Our founding fathers sacrificed their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor for this country. I wonder what we are willing to sacrifice to keep her?

Scot-E, you and Coyboy are absolutely right, you both said it very well. I'm an Ole Coon but I'm still full of P--s and I get riled up over how so many just seem to think "oh hum" that will never happen here, or some will just set back and not do what needs to be done when they have the chance.
We need to be informed as to what is happening in this country and take up for ourselves and fight to save our rights for our kids and grandkids freedom and rights depend on us.
I cannot believe how ill informed some are as to what is going on and things that are about to happen that concerns us as Outdoors men and as Americans. If we "ALL" do not "Man Up" and "Stand Up" we will all see this country loose our rights, and our kids and Grandkids will be the ones who suffer the most by us just setting on our butts.

Eat more Wolfe, fried, smoked, B-Q'd or maybe stew. Just be creative.:D

Being from Alberta I'll put in my two bits. There are are now an estimated 5000 wolves in the province and it doesn't take a genius to do the math on the impact this has on ungulate populations. As to the 4 caribou killed per 100 wolves the only reason for this is that the caribou population is so depleted that's still a high percentage of the herd, and wolves main diets are made up of moose, elk, and deer. Now for all the bad decisions made this side of the border, our provincial government has this one right: residents are allowed, without a license to shoot wolves at almost any time of year with the use of bait. In addition to this there is a plan in the works for aerial culls. In other words kill as many as you can however you can I hope my friends south of the border soon get the same opportunity so both our elk herds can recover.

I am also an Albertan - this report is no surprise and the numbers make sense when you consider the rarity of the caribou. I don't really care what reasons they give - I am fine with a solid wolf cull, and will be doing my part this winter as I am able.

I live in NY and want to wolf hunt in Canada, anyone know where I'd start? Anyone from Rochester or Buffalo NY done it, want to do it?

I live in NY and want to wolf hunt in Canada, anyone know where I'd start? Anyone from Rochester or Buffalo NY done it, want to do it?

Tukii Lodge Smithers BC. Might be easier to look up as Babine guide, and Outfitters. I don't have their number in front of me, if you can't find it online I'll dig it out. A few places to see their results, NorthwestWolfSightings.org first picture up is I think 7 wolves LLoyd and a client, they ran an ongoing thread over at Bowsite under 2012 wolf trapline hunts, and 2011 as well. Lloyd and his brother Jack have been killing 20-30+ wolves annually since at least 1999, look up BC MountainHunter record book under wolf and probably the top 7 out of ten are under Tukki lodge unless someone else had a good winter. You tube has a couple of short clips under Tukii Lodge.They run traplines and bait sets out of comfortable cabins. Bait sets have been set at about 200 yards, as they haven't had hunters that felt comfortable shooting farther. This coming year they have a hunter that has asked for 500 yard sets, and they anticipate more rifle opportunity. They kind of started out to help their moose out, but since the wolf issues started down here they are booked up a couple of years. A bit on the more expensive side but equipment and service is there. One of the few things on the planet I recommend without reservation, or hesitation. PS I have no financial interest just they have been super good to us.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.