Alaskan Dall Sheep - 210 Berger VLD

Very Nice Sheep Phorwath. Congrats on a successful hunt.

I am suprised at the performance of your bullet . I have taken much game with the 210 Berger and never had this as a result. I guess I have been lucky enough to catch a rib on each shot, or a shoulder when needed on larger game. I suppose in this case a Ballistic Tip projectile would have been the answer. But I choose to shoot one bullet in my rifles and feel the Berger is best for the game I am hunting. I guess it is hard to get it all, as far as a bullet is concerned. Not enough expansion or to much. But for sure no two shots are the same when you consider all the variables of distance/velocity, toughness of hide, placement and angle.

But never the less, I am glad you secured the animal and didn't have to track him up. Good job.

Jeff

It has been suggested that if the meplat was trimmed back on these 210 VLDs just enough to provide a consistent & uniform tip, that they might expand more reliably. Anyone doing this and have any recommendations? Anyone at all??

I hate to have to start over with 208 Amaxs and load development. I'd rather meplat uniform and continue with the VLDs if that would help promote better consistency of expansion.

Great info on the Berger's and congrats on the sheep, he looks eerily related to this 36 1/2" that I took in the Kenai range a few years ago. I took him with my 25-06 using 117 grain Hornady boattail handloads. Shot was just over 400 yards estimated by holdover.

I haven't read any other reports like this about the Berger's so the info is very helpful even if it is a small sampling of the total number of 210's being used there seems to be a common experience voiced in this thread.

th_003.jpg

Congrat's on that Nice Ram... I would have loved to have seen your face after the first shot.. I've had that look before... Use Barnes Bullets next time .. You don't have to feel that way again...

AK

Barnes is the last projectile I would use at extended ranges..They just dont open or cause sufficent trauma out wide on big game.. Ive followed up enough sambar using Barnes and witneesed 3 through the boiler room..before he tried to stop getting up at 240 yards..froma 300 win mag using 180's. Plenty of nice recoveries with just the petals folded over.. may work on small deer

Just for Giggles what is your choice of bullet for the fore mention shooting Feat.. It would be North Forks would it...
AK

Try a Hornady SST

If Barnes rocks your boat by all means use them.
Currently shotting 210 Bergers at 2940fps from my Weatherby Accumark.

In tthe 7mm I use 175gn GK's or 162gn SSt's

In the Edge I will be using 250gn Hornaday Match or 300 SMK's.

On an undisturbed animal I have used a 300wsm and 300win mag with 180' TTSX for less than spectacular performance. They just dont rock my boat .

The unique thing about hunting sheep is that their always in area's where Grizzly Bears live... Anybody ever shot a Grizzly Bear with a target bullet... Life is fulled with compromise's .. Bad thing about Grizzly Bears is sometime you run across one that .... lightbulb

In addition to my long range loads, which may consist of a fragile jacketed target style bullet, I load and carry what I call 'bear loads' or 'camp loads' with all of my rifles. They consist of Nosler Accubonds or Barnes TSX bullets, which are loaded in the magazine at virtually all times, other than when I shoot at my target animal. Then I empty the magazine and load single shot style for any long range encounters.

Thats an awesome trophy and I am drooling. I was going to ask some questions but previous posts answered them for me. Thanks for the post.

In addition to my long range loads, which may consist of a fragile jacketed target style bullet, I load and carry what I call 'bear loads' or 'camp loads' with all of my rifles. They consist of Nosler Accubonds or Barnes TSX bullets, which are loaded in the magazine at virtually all times, other than when I shoot at my target animal. Then I empty the magazine and load single shot style for any long range encounters.

I see you've got it covered...no big suprise.

You guys up there in AK...say you were shooting an EDGE or Lap with the 300SMK. Would you have a separate 'bear'/'camp' load or not? Just curious.

I should have mentioned: My bear/camp loads are also employed on short range encounters with game animals, when they fall in my lap. I don't spend near as much time fine tuning and developing these camps loads, as the accuracy required to kill an large game animal out to ~300 yards is generally a gimme - not difficult to accomplish with almost any bullet and load combination.

I've never shot a game animal with the 300gr SMK, so I'll be interested to hear any additional responses to your question.

I do own a .338 Imperial Magnum - well I did own one. Kirby reworked it to a .338 Edge. They're virtually identical. The shoulder on the Edge is move forward maybe an extra 0.030" for very slightly greater case capacity. I'll be hunting Kodiak bear next spring. I've used the 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw to dispatch two brown bears on prior hunts with the former .338 Imperial. Their affect on these two animals was devastating. One very large boar (squared 10' 5") was killed outright with a broadside shot through the ribs behind both front shoulders at a distance of ~130 yds. That bear never so much as let out a twitch of movement - other than to collapse. The other bear was already wounded and trying to escape. One shot to the same location incapacitated this bear. He never regained all fours - and that was with the adrenaline pumping 100%. As a result of the experiences on these two mature boars, at this time I believe I'll be carrying some 225 Trophy Bonded Bear Claws on the upcoming Spring 2011 brown bear hunt.

I find myself using the 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, and .280 RCBS Improved for my non-brown bear hunts. So I can't speak with any experience on use of the 300gr SMKs.

Great ram and pics. Wow. COngrats on doin it at 55yo. Them VLD's is great for poking paper at xtreem ranges, but they're not really much of a hunting-designed bullet. Shoulda used some green box Rems or Win Silvertips.

Paul,

I know we dont always see eye to eye on this forum but who cares? That is an awesome ram. Congrats on a gorgeous specimen.

If you are unhappy with the Berger, concider the 208 AMAX. It is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Sometimes too much expansion. On a sheep though, they are just fine. As with any bullet, they wont drop a ram in it's tracks unless you hit spine or two shoulders but they will tear the living daylights out of the lungs if you choose to lung them.

I have skunked out on rams 2 years in a row now. It is my own fault, I have passed on rams both years. If the one I passed this year survives, he may be worth shooting next year. If not, then the Alaska Range is my next stop. I have always wanted at least one Alaska Range ram. They have horn characteristics that I love.

Congrats again,

M

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.