Alaskan Sheep

dogbuster0006

I PCS to Ft. Richardson in a few wks, sheep tags aren't too bad expensive and I'm looking for some more info on hunting them. Anyone know of a good guide in the area? I'm looking for more info on them, whether or not i need a guide to hunt them. I know lots of animals there i have to use a guide. Thanks,

Several rules you will need to abide by;

You must have a guide for Grizzly/Brown Bear, Sheep and Goat until you have lived in Alaska for 12 consecutive months.

In certain areas of Southeast Alaska, you'll need a special permit to hunt black bear without a guide under "non-resident status". Check the regulations or stop by ADF&G office at 333 Raspberry Road in Anchorage for info, 907-267-2257 hunting line.

With your PCS paperwork you can get a "non-resident military license" but will have to show your PCS papers to get the "resident rate". You may qualify for a free license if active duty and you can get the application at Alaska Hunting and Trapping Information, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

You wont find a guided sheep or goat hunt in Alaska for less $7,500.00 per person, wont find a grizzly/brown bear hunt under $9,000.00 per person, and those rates wont include your airfare to/from the guide camp or other transportation, big game tags, etc.

Your best bet as of now is stick to species which require no guides and are relatively inexpensive hunts; Moose, Caribou,Sitka Black tail Deer, Black Bear in most areas.

If you have the fever to hunt and the coin to drop on a guide, research them through ADF&G and some of the local forums, Outdoors Directory is a good Alaska based forum with a few serious hunters on there and a lot of guys full of B/S and hot air. Read wisely and you can sort through all the B/S.

If you have questions and info on hunts you can participate in without a guide drop a PM.

Thanks for the info and upwards of 5k is way over what i have to spend at the time, I'll check into sitka and black bear hunting some more that's much closer to my price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.