Alaska Moose Hunt Berger 210vld

Ive shot 1 moose with my 340 wby and 225 partition,blew top off heart.It sucked it up walked a few steps coughed and bedded,then dead.I shot the other close in brush, it stood after winding me,300 OTM-338 NM,went three strides.My experiance is with 300 OTMS.Multiple elk,deer,antelope and bears. I heard lots talk Berger not hold up, so after I killed bull,1/4 to me,with exit.I tied the largest leg bone to target,and blew it threw 1/2 OSB at 200 yrds.And shattered bone one shot and other shot threw knuckle. I like a bonded or mono on smaller offerings,but 338 NM my main go to. I shot a few animals,bull elk and 7' black bear threw scapula with my bow and seen it done by other,do I recommend No. I know mutiple that have killed charging bear,with no more than '06. My father in
elk bone shot.jpg
targets 002.jpg
law killed a grizz when he was about 16 with a 22,something a dumb kid would do.Hes 91 now.

Last edited:
Obviously the hammer boys are equally fanatical. Especially when they claim the same bullet that stops a charging grizzly bear will expand on a broadside whitetail at 1000 yards. Which is it? Violet expansion or shoot through a grizzly bear long/QUOTE]

I ask you right back regarding your Bergers...which is it???

Show the pics, please.
The pics of what? The 900 yard blood trail in the snow? Your hammer bullet that blew through and didn't expand? You think they went and found the bullet in the side of the mountain? I am asking because you make claims without picture evidence as well - like a hammer used to stop a charging Cape buffalo - where are the pics Steve? It goes both ways bro, at least it should

PredatorSlayer where do you get that I am a Hammer fan boy. I do not even know any body who has shot them. If you read my post I did not favor any bulletis that what a fan boy is. Some one who has no personal preference then yes I am a fan boy. My posts have indicated that Elksurgeon should try some other bullets in the 210grn weight. Personally I do not think that there is such thing as 1 bullet that can do every thing. I also don't think there are many guides that will let you shoot at game at 1000yds. Most guides want to get their client as close to the game as possible to ensure a lethal hit.
May I ask what Berger bullets are coated in that has made you so miserable toward those who do not agree with what you believe.

PredatorSlayer where do you get that I am a Hammer fan boy. I do not even know any body who has shot them. If you read my post I did not favor any bulletis that what a fan boy is. Some one who has no personal preference then yes I am a fan boy. My posts have indicated that Elksurgeon should try some other bullets in the 210grn weight. Personally I do not think that there is such thing as 1 bullet that can do every thing. I also don't think there are many guides that will let you shoot at game at 1000yds. Most guides want to get their client as close to the game as possible to ensure a lethal hit.
May I ask what Berger bullets are coated in that has made you so miserable toward those who do not agree with what you believe.
Just my personal experience with bergers - I have killed a lot of big bull elk, muleys and black bears with bergers from 25 yards to 1045 yards. With 115's in a 25-06 to 215's in a 300 rum. It's the quickest most efficient death I have witnessed. I have shot LRX, Accubonds, GMX, ballistic tips, Amax, partitions a frames you name it. I don't think they are magic, just a great bullet with a decent BC that usually shoot really well in my rifles.

As a side note I am really liking the ELDX and ELDM bullet performance. So I am not married to bergers, but the OP was asking for experience with Bergers...

Last edited:
Hey fellow hunters, I'm brand new to the group & I feel you can all help me make a decision here. Please DO NOT respond to this thread if you have never killed an animal with a Berger or if you are here to trash talk the bullet that puts elk meat in my freezer every year from 60yds to 850yds........Thanks Guys

My brother & I are headed to Alaska In September 2021 for a 10 day moose drop hunt. I'm bringing my 300wby no matter what. I currently rock mature bull elk with the 210gr VLD with zero issues. Has anyone here killed a moose in Alaska or the lower 48 with a Berger bullet?......
I don't want to derail your thread but I would love to hear about your load some time later. I have a 300wby on the way to me. I might send you a pm.

Well I was busy and had limited cell reception so I couldn't reply like I wanted to. Just got home to walk n the door to the smell of steaks, bacon,onions and cheese cooking!
I sat with my wife and ate a Fantastic dinner!!
Now reading through this thread since I last replied I'm conflicted.
My conflict is the ones who responded with respect and experience and the few who responded with disrespect.
Here's my input again.
We are all hunters. This site was created to give a faction of hunters a place to share info and experiences
Hunters are a ever decreasing amount of the population nowadays
LongRangeHunting is even a smaller segment of that
So many things are against us. Trying to take our hunting away. Strip us of our right to have a weapon.
We need to be vigilant in our choice of direction.
Either we band together and stand as one or we fall divided.
Having said that. I truly believe we have the future of our love for hunting in our hands.
It's up to us as a very small segment of the hunting community to take this opportunity seriously.
Some choose to be degrading and demeaning with there comments. I challenge them to realize the opportunity at hand and be responsible and respectful.
We are all human. We all have our experiences and opinions. But we are all hunters.
I think it's the most important thing to remember.
No where else in the world can anyone enjoy what we get to.
I challenge every one of us to band together.
Everyone has a different set of opinions based on their own circumstances
Being responsible,respectful and open minded is one way to be a team.
A team for the same purpose of prolonging our pursuit.
Because in the end that's what it is all about.
The pursuit!
Be mindful of where we are at at this time in history. We are a minority. So many what to take this pursuit away from us.
I for one love my hunting!
I love my hunting community!
Please a ambassador for hunting and our Longrange hunting

I've got no dog in the Grizzly defense subject but I sure wouldn't want to depend on trying to swing any of my serious long range rifles on a charging grizzly. Most of them are 13-15lbs, 26"-28" bbls with very light triggers. I just don't see myself doing well with them in that situation. I'll do some research if I ever decide to head to Grizzly country.

If your confident in a bullet and your shot placement, put down cleanly multiple elk and are happy with the results there is zero reason to change bullets and start experimenting on a hunt that is costing you serious money and time, go with what you know. I've dug a few 140 gr Berger VLDs out of Alaskan moose, it's all my buddy shoots them with and they are very dead without issues but he's keeping it inside 600 so far. I really like Bergers and killed a LOT of elk with them from 243 to 338 and only one that penciled on a deer was a 210 but the shot was not well placed and still recovered the deer quickly.
Bottom line for me is go with what you know, if you feel like changing do it on a hunt that unexpected results don't have as big of consequences.

The pics of what? The 900 yard blood trail in the snow? Your hammer bullet that blew through and didn't expand? You think they went and found the bullet in the side of the mountain? I am asking because you make claims without picture evidence as well - like a hammer used to stop a charging Cape buffalo - where are the pics Steve? It goes both ways bro, at least it should
I have never posted on this site, but I have taken 5 buffalo with the 447 gr Sledge Hammer in my 458 Lott. The farthest any traveled after being shot was about 30 yards. The one that charged was up hill and I could not get a good angle for a head shot. I shot the bull straight on in the chest as he was charging. He went down in 10 yards. I have used other brands of bullets with good results, but I now prefer the Hammer for dangerous game. I will be with 3 other hunters going after buffalo again this August. All 4 of us are using the Sledge Hammer bullets.

Attachments

• 20190531_163441.jpg
    20190531_163441.jpg
    998.1 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.