Alaska Moose Hunt Berger 210vld

ElkSurgeon

Hey fellow hunters, I'm brand new to the group & I feel you can all help me make a decision here. Please DO NOT respond to this thread if you have never killed an animal with a Berger or if you are here to trash talk the bullet that puts elk meat in my freezer every year from 60yds to 850yds........Thanks Guys

My brother & I are headed to Alaska In September 2021 for a 10 day moose drop hunt. I'm bringing my 300wby no matter what. I currently rock mature bull elk with the 210gr VLD with zero issues. Has anyone here killed a moose in Alaska or the lower 48 with a Berger bullet?......

If you are comfortable with them, take them. I would personally build a load with a heavier constructed bullet for a moose.

I shoot bergers on deer and cow elk. If I was on a bull hunt or moose hunt though I would be looking at barnes, nosler Partition, hammer, swift a frame, etc.

I wont shoulder shoot animals with Bergers. If you put them through the ribs into the boiler room it is all good and lights out in my experience, but they are designed to fragment.

[QUOTE="Hoss50, post:

Thanks Hoss50. Just need some input from Berger fans. I've never shoulder shot my bulls, strictly vitals....so I have zero intel. I've also never shot thru brush at 100yds & asked my Berger to produce similar results. I have time to work a different load but.....dude I've killed some **** with the one I have, you know what I mean right?

Never killed an elk with the 210 VLDH, but a friend I hunt with killed a nice buffalo with the same 300 Wby you have shooting the 210's. As stated, not a shoulder shot, in the boiler room. Several friends and I have killed lots of elk with the VLDH's. Good luck, if I was younger I'd be there with you.

I have a buddy, who I loaded his .300WM w. 190 Berger HVLD for his Alaska Moose hunt.

921 yard shot, one and done. Looks like a huge moose to me.

20200309_211332.jpg

They look like a Barnes Bullet & also appears Midway can't send them to me in 4days LOL....I'm a Ford Dodge Chevy kinda shooter, why hammer?
There nothing like a Barnes. And mostly they are easy to tune. And impact on animals is devastating but so is a nosler bullet. But nosler is just not as good of long range bullet in my opinion

Remember your not just worried about bullet performance on the moose. In Alaska it's the Grizzly who needs the performance. Odds are you won't have problems. But it's best to have a bonded bullet or mono. I guide in Alaska. I personally use Hammer bullets and recommend them to hunters as number 1 choice. #2 choice is a Swift Aframe or Scirocco.
Yes I've seen Berger's take moose. 6.5 saum with a 140 berger being the latest but he had a guide with a 375.
I would highly recommend a mono bullet or a bonded bullet for your Alaska hunt

Good Luck, I am sure the Bergers will work just fine. I have shot lots of game animals with them and never lost an animal. Nothing as large as a moose but if the bullets gets to its intended spot the moose will die. I have killed moose in the lower 48 quite a few years ago. Shot it with a 140 grain core lokt out of a 7 mag. Bull went 10 feet maybe. They are not really that hard to kill as long as you do your part and get the bullet in the boiler room.

They look like a Barnes Bullet & also appears Midway can't send them to me in 4days LOL....I'm a Ford Dodge Chevy kinda shooter, why hammer?
I would agree with Troy on the Hammers. I am shooting the 199 Hammer Hunters in my 300 PRC and they were a piece of cake to get to shoot into 1/2" MOA out to five hundred. They have excellent customer service and you can order direct from Hammer and they usually ship out the same day. I haven't killed anything with them yet but the load I worked up is heading to Africa with me the end of April so I hope all I've read is true.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.