ageing but still hunting

cdpa

Hey guys just a note to bring you up to date. This coming hunting season I will be 79 and slowing down. Had both of my knees totally replaced and a gangerous gall bladder removed within the last year, but am planning a couple of hunts this season.

Have a hunt planned in South Carolina for a week for whitetails and hogs and a buffalo hunt in October along with 2 deer hunts in Pennsylvania before the year is out.

Hope I can do all without falling short of my plans. Will let you know about the hunts after completion. CD

cdpa,

go for it and may the Lord be with you! I'm 55 and when I go hunting I take Him with me. Last year my legs gave up from under me and I rolled hard down this hill, my son running behind me and screaming... Dad... Are you alright?... The trees I rolled over took the worst part; you should've seen them. Broken branches, you name it. I'm 350 Lbs so I was a good match for them.

Finally my boy said: Can you talk? Say something!!! I said: I'm alive! I sat on the ground and my son said can you see well? I pulled my Glock 23 in 40 which was still with me in spite of all the rolling and pulled the trigger on a white patch on a tree about 10 yards aways... hit about 1" left and I said, I think so... and they were all laughing.

Good Hunt to you!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there, and don't over do it. My grandpa is about your age+/- a year or two. He cant walk more then a hundred yards with out needing a break. Bad knees two hear surgeries past two years plus other problems. But come deer season he will be sitting on his bucket in a corner somewhere. Or if I can go I built an elevated box blind for him that I can drive him to, and we hunt together. But he ends up doing more talking then hunting which is fine.

You have me by 12 yrs. You're a good example. I'll match your gall bladder and spot you a spleen.:)

Don't let those dreams get away from you. You'll get grumpy:)

I figure on sliding in to home plate head first flat broke, a full belly, bucket list checked off with a smile on my face..........if I don't fall off of a horse and land on my head first.:)

Good luck on those hunts!!!!

PS: Do the how old are you poll. We need some help on our age bracket.:D

I hope to be doing as well as you are in 35 years time.

I was walking the Routeburn track in NZ a few years ago (normally 3 day tramp) when a group of runners came through doing the track in one day, the youngest of the 4 was in their sixites, the oldest in the seventies. There was no way I could have run it and I was in my twenties.

Keep it up you are an inspiration to us all.

Stu.

Hang tough and most importantly enjoy the hunts but, don't overdue it...that little voice inside you will let you know.

Midwesthunter, hats off to you for looking out for your Grandpa and doing what you can to enhance his hunting experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.