advise on what low recoil 4/500 yard caliber to choose?

.260 or 7mm-08 would be my votes. The .260 would have a little less recoil when using 120 grain bullets and has the option of some great long range slugs. 7mm-08 is plenty for 500 yards and you can go pretty heavy on the bullets if you ever want to hunt elk.

If she is really recoil sensitive you could get something like a .270, .280, or one of the WSMs and put a muzzle brake on it. Then it would kick about like a .243 and still have plenty of poop for shots well beyond 500 yards.

6.5 creedmoor ,my 8 year old son is hitting steel at 550 yards , very little recoil. first shot hits at 900 seem easy with the 140 a-max and my g7 range finder

So Im going antelope hunting in wyoming next year and am typically a archery hunter so I need some advise on rifle caliber selection. Im the market for a long range good BC rifle with lower recoil so my wife can shoot comfortably as well. Something that will take down antelope and mule deer out west. I would like the comfort of knowing I can take big game at 4-500 yards if needed. I'm not a reloader so something that isn't totally uncommon to use.

Been reading lots of forums in here seems like lots of helpful people with great advise hopefully you can steer me to a good rifle for my first of many wyoming hunts.

Thanks, Eric.
.260 Rem. Great ballistics minimal recoil and plenty of cartridge to kill about anything in N. America short of big bears at that range.

+1 for the 6.5 creedmore my 8 year old nephew is shooting one.He killed a doe at 323 yards after i dailed his scope for him

I would say check your ammo availability on some of the calibers listed. I like the .260 personally but there's crap for factory choices. The creedmore has better factory choices for ammo if you can find it. I would do the 243 for your intended purpose or possibly even one of the .25 calibers like the 257 Roberts or 25-06. But again based on ammo availability and a non braked gun I would do a 243.

A .243 if you want to buy your ammo. Any sporting goods store in America will have a wide selection of ammo. Any hardware store and some gas stations will have .243 ammo in antelope country. Any good gun store in America will also have a wide selection of rifles chambered for .243. If this were my situation, and my wife was so inclined (she is not), I'd get her a nice wood stocked Tikka in .243.

A 6.5x47 Lapua if you reload. Hard to beat a 130gr hunting VLD @ ~ 2850-2900 for what you're after. A .260 or 6.5 creedmoor are birds of the same feather, but would be easier to find in a factory gun.

You should reload :) Come on in, the water's fine!

-nosualc

I killed many a critter (including deer) with my .243 as a kid. Great round for women and kids or just overall for that matter. I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor more than anything these days, truly a great all around cartridge. Can't go wrong with any of the standards in 6mm/243, 25 or 6.5

243 is my vote as the availability of ammo alone for a guy that says
"I'm not a reloader". Very capable cartridge. Also a lot more choices in rifles that you won't have to put a brake on, save your money for a scope, not a brake.

I have killed a lot of deer with both the 243 and the 25-06 and my pick is hands down the 25-06. It just drops deer dead in their tracks most of the time with most any 100 to 120 gr bullet. I really like the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter. The 25-06 kills waaaaay beyond what many people that have never used one much would think. Ammo for it is easy to find also.

Lots of good suggestions but I think you need to know two things up front.

1. Assuming that your wife already shoots; what can she comfortably handle? Of the choices listed, bigger is usually better IMO. I'd prefer the 7mm-08.

2. Restricted to factory ammo - take a good look around and see what ammo is available with the type of bullet you're likely to use (want). This will steer you in a few directions and probably eliminate several others.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.