advise on what low recoil 4/500 yard caliber to choose?

Eric.MN

So Im going antelope hunting in wyoming next year and am typically a archery hunter so I need some advise on rifle caliber selection. Im the market for a long range good BC rifle with lower recoil so my wife can shoot comfortably as well. Something that will take down antelope and mule deer out west. I would like the comfort of knowing I can take big game at 4-500 yards if needed. I'm not a reloader so something that isn't totally uncommon to use.

Been reading lots of forums in here seems like lots of helpful people with great advise hopefully you can steer me to a good rifle for my first of many wyoming hunts.

Thanks, Eric.

Like me. And not just for my wife. Excellent round, plenty common in stores, and can even perform at a longer range if you want it to.

95grn to 105 grain bullet would be good to 500. My boy just shot a pa whitetail with a 243 using a 95grain berger. Full frontal chest shot. The deer looked like it got hit by a car on both shoulders. Not sure of the velocity, but it's moving.

Look at the Weatherby page, they make a Vanguard in .240 Weatherby. Decent weight. guaranteed MOA on some packages. Shouldn't break the bank.

I see a lot of people have great things about the .243, how about the 25-06? Maybe it's just the little bigger is better in me but seems like good numbers come out of that caliber and still a easy gun to shoot. Thoughts?

I see a lot of people have great things about the .243, how about the 25-06? Maybe it's just the little bigger is better in me but seems like good numbers come out of that caliber and still a easy gun to shoot. Thoughts?

Balistically for hunting, the 25-06 will beat the 243. I have shot and hunted with the 25-06. It is in my top 3 for hunting rifles.

The 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 would be excellent for that job. Very high B.C that bucks the wind well. My Dad and I both own 6.5 Creedmoors and they are very light recoil with surgical accuracy and are absolutely devestating on game. Shot a few deer with them and ive been really impressed. A real ball to punch paper and watch little tight groups. The 243 isnt a bad choice either but the 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor are going to have more energy down range and have a higher B.C bullet.

243 win is my choice, 80gr ttsx moving out at 3300fps will be deadly on antelope and deer out to the distance you're looking at but I'm biased. 260, 6.5 creedmoore 7mm-08 would all be great choices. Couldn't go wrong with any of them IMO.

for less recoil add weight and/or break. ....... now the remington long range comes in 25-06 . ; or a .243 a sako 85 varmint. or a weatherby accumark.

Actually I'd do a 7mm Remington, m700 long range with a little jimmy muzzle brake from APA and call it good.

Last edited:
95grn to 105 grain bullet would be good to 500. My boy just shot a pa whitetail with a 243 using a 95grain berger. Full frontal chest shot. The deer looked like it got hit by a car on both shoulders. Not sure of the velocity, but it's moving.

I would not consider 500 yards the outer limit for a .243 pushing 105gr bullets on deer.

considering how sensitive some women can be with recoil, i would go with the 243 or 260.

Velocity is good, retain plenty of energy for deer, and the 260 offers very high BC bullets particularly for long range shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.