Advice on small snake gun

I guess I should clarify, something small enough to carry daily. That's why I was considering the 410 derringer but most info I see is buck shot not #6-9. The 45 snake shot is ok to 6ft but not ideal otherwise but I could do that if the derringers are not worthwhile.

Killed a 3 ft rattlesnake with a 38 LCR and CCI snake shot. 10ft. 2 shots, no problem. First one pretty much did him in. I wouldn't want to shoot a 6 ft diamondback with it though!

Years ago my buddy used a T/C Contender pistol with 410 shotshells to shoot quail over dogs. I've gotta say, it proved to be rather effective in his hands.
The T/C is a lot handier than any size shotgun and more powerful than any of the pistols with handgun shotshells.

Just a thought.

My front pocket snake (non-legged and otherwise) gun is a North American Arms 5 shot revolver in 22mag with a 1 1/2" barrel. First two shots are rat shot the next 3 are hollow points. Found the rat shot to be effective on non-legged snakes from 3-20 feet. The back pocket gun is for anything that won't handle.

Out of curiosity was it the shorter barrel or the 3", tried pattern out of 4" 627 and it was rapidly spreading beyond say 5ft

I've had a Bond Arms 45/410 for a while now. It is a fun toy. Even light 2-1/2" 410's are not enjoyable without good gloves. It's also very hard to actually hit anything. Shot shells open up to about foot at 10', but actually hitting anything is a challenge. At least with a stubby 38 with shot shells you have a pretty good chance of actually hitting the target. The Bond Arms grip shape just doesn't work well for me or any of my friends, but I still get a kick out of carrying when we are out for pdogs.

I've had a Bond Arms 45/410 for a while now. It is a fun toy. Even light 2-1/2" 410's are not enjoyable without good gloves. It's also very hard to actually hit anything. Shot shells open up to about foot at 10', but actually hitting anything is a challenge. At least with a stubby 38 with shot shells you have a pretty good chance of actually hitting the target. The Bond Arms grip shape just doesn't work well for me or any of my friends, but I still get a kick out of carrying when we are out for pdogs.

Which model do you have?

9F08AECC-A140-45DB-BBBA-40194F52F10A.jpeg

If you go the CCI shotshell route as said above pattern your gun. They do not open up as quickly as most think. I live in snake country, kill 3-5 a year on my property. A 22 or 38 revo work just fine and are easy to carry.

They are quite large so possible but I would probably just go another revolver (either 44 or 45lc) I was hoping to see if something smaller would work well at beyond snake bite distance. If it was just for around the house larger revolver would work but the area has quite a few marshland type areas while out, such as near playgrounds where my daughter likes to play.

I think that you are asking a lot to find one gun to do all. It's either a CCW handgun, "or" a snake gun, but I am thinking that a handgun that is capable of doing double duty is pretty much impossible to find. I know that there is one company out there that makes a four inch, .410, 45ACP two shot.

I just carry a 38 or 357 and load my own shotshells. I bought the plastic shot capsules from midway and have loaded anything from buckshot mixed with 8 shot to get the weight I wanted to straight 9 shot. I assume some 12 shot or something of the like would work well for close snake encounters. Atleast that way u get 5 or 6 shots and it may Already have a 38 special or 357.

Ive killed snakes with 22shot but I don't like carrying 2 pistols. So I load my 9mm with first round shot then carry ammo. Problem solved

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.