Advice on small snake gun

My solution for western rattlers is a Ruger LCR-X (3" barrel) and handloaded shotshells with 8 1/2 or 9 shot. I patterned several different size shot at 7yds. and these worked best in my pistol with a high pellet count on target. Pistol is light and has better sights than most pocket revolvers. Also has 5 shot capability. For gators, hogs, pythons, etc - use a much bigger gun !

I live is south Texas where all sorts of vermin are present and you never know what you will encounter.

Most pistols are to powerful and also heavy to carry all day, so I went with a high capacity 22 Mag with a polymer frame. and it realy works.

I have killed Squirrels to hogs with it and never found my self wanting for more. It has plenty of power for gators, coyotes, foxes, bob cats,
and everything else we find that needs to be dispatched.

I tried the 22 LR and found it lacking in some cases. so I up the game to a 22 Mag. The one I like is the Keltec PMR 30 Because it will hold 31 rounds and is very lite.

Like any other firearm you have to watch your backstop and for ricochets on water.

J E CUSTOM

I think that you are asking a lot to find one gun to do all. It's either a CCW handgun, "or" a snake gun, but I am thinking that a handgun that is capable of doing double duty is pretty much impossible to find. I know that there is one company out there that makes a four inch, .410, 45ACP two shot.
To clarify again, I am really just looking for a small or pocketable snake gun. I regularly carry a pocket 380 as a backup so I would just swap that. The other gun would stay it depends on need but normally a 239 or if concealment not an issue a 229. This is why I was asking about small snake shot derringers. It seems the one person with experience said they were next to useless so I may go lcr or j frame and just deal with relatively quick spread (or just find a really small 45 like XD-S for snake shot 45)

I live is south Texas where all sorts of vermin are present and you never know what you will encounter.

Most pistols are to powerful and also heavy to carry all day, so I went with a high capacity 22 Mag with a polymer frame. and it realy works.

I have killed Squirrels to hogs with it and never found my self wanting for more. It has plenty of power for gators, coyotes, foxes, bob cats,
and everything else we find that needs to be dispatched.

I tried the 22 LR and found it lacking in some cases. so I up the game to a 22 Mag. The one I like is the Keltec PMR 30 Because it will hold 31 rounds and is very lite.

Like any other firearm you have to watch your backstop and for ricochets on water.

J E CUSTOM
Have you run any of the 22mag shot shells through it? I just bought a pmr30 and it is a fun gun to have, looking to try some type of shot shell in it for first couple rounds , snakes and such around yard as well?

Have you run any of the 22mag shot shells through it? I just bought a pmr30 and it is a fun gun to have, looking to try some type of shot shell in it for first couple rounds , snakes and such around yard as well?

No I haven't Because I live in town and discharging a firearm is frowned on. but I would be interested to find out how it did.

I use a cordless weed eater in my yard, and it makes quick work of snakes and my aim is not as important, and No reloading is required.:cool:

J E CUSTOM

To clarify again, I am really just looking for a small or pocketable snake gun. I regularly carry a pocket 380 as a backup so I would just swap that. The other gun would stay it depends on need but normally a 239 or if concealment not an issue a 229. This is why I was asking about small snake shot derringers. It seems the one person with experience said they were next to useless so I may go lcr or j frame and just deal with relatively quick spread (or just find a really small 45 like XD-S for snake shot 45)

My EDC is a S&W642, I have shot the CCI .38 special Rat Shot. I've shot some fairly large water snakes with it while building a bridge for a friend; it worked fairly well for me. I must say that if I were looking at rattlesnake artillery it would be a Rem 870 with bird shot; I "DON"T" like snakes at all!! At 14 ounces for me this S&W is a formidable weapon to beat. I also have a S&W 340 PD, however have not had time to take it to the range. I know that the revolver is "old school", so am I:rolleyes:. I have a gun that I am "going to carry", not the biggest gun in the arsenal. It fits nicely in the pocket, and really do not know it is there. utube has a couple of videos on the CCI Rat shot. Just something you might want to take a look at.

Nothing wrong with a .22 for snakes...

If you want to keep it cheap, you could also use a shotgun with birdshot. A bit overkill but it'll do the job none the less.

I carried a S&W 357 mag with CCI shotshells that caused many a snakes demise. Maryland has gotten so bad I don't carry hand guns anymore but we don't have gators , hogs or many venomous snakes thank god for that at least. Only snakes of concern is the politicians and you can't shoot them.... I'm not sure why ?

Last edited:
I'd look at Bond Arms.

I believe they make a .410 Derringer. If not you can always check out Taurus and their 5-Shot 45LC/410 combo.

morning, this will draw some hoots. I live in TX. snakes r always on a
persons mine if u r an outdoors person. I carry a 6' staff and bear
spray when walking my dog in snake areas. I have used the staff
and spray to dispatch vermin. I do carry a S&W 22 semi auto
for coyotes. do not use snake shot, never had to use. the areas
I walk in r rural areas. justme gbot tum.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.