advice on buying first nightforce

Shawn62085

Hello I am looking into buying my first nightforce for my 7mm sendero I currently have a vortex viper on it and just not happy with the clearness of the scope I have always been a firm believer in the nikon monarch but wanted to give night force a try my average shots with this gun are from 100 out to 700 I can get 1000 but never had the chance to try that far yet if anybody has any input on witch nf to look into it would be much appreciated!!!

2 questions to start with, how heavy are you willing to live with, and how many dollars are you willing to spend?

My ATACR is one I would not part with for anything. Heavy and expensive, and some new ones coming out soon.

I have no experience with their new SHV line, but some reviews should be trickling in soon.

If I was in your shoes it would be the ATACR! Love mine and they are just awesome! but understand that the $2300 isn't for everyone. if you can't swing that much no shame at all in going with an NXS at all. The SHV is a really nice scope but I just don't like the cap on cap off for dialing my turrets, but the clarity is very nice for the $1000 price tag. Let your wallet be your guide, IMHO if your a guy who will keep it forever save your money til you can get at least the NXS then buy.

I've got a PST and an ATACR. comparing them side by side, and the PST looks fuzzy with a small and tricky eyebox. Using my PST for hunting and it gets the job done every time, no complaints. But as you have noticed the optics can leave you wanting more.

ATACR is an amazing scope. Period.

I have owned 30 Nightforce scopes and would buy the ATACR if at all possible. It has better glass for lowlight conditions, and more vertical adjustment range. There are usually some good deals in the classifieds on LRH, Accurate Shooter, And Snipershide for new or used models. I have seen several for sale in the $1900.00 range. I prefer moa over mils, but that is just personal preference. New FFP models have been announced, so there may be some good deals on used SFP models soon. Gary

Thanks for all the input guys!!! I was looking around the 1500 2000 range to spend and they will bury me wi the this rifle so I am thinking the way ya guys sound is atacr is the way to go

Just understand that it's a 38 ounce scope. And then a couple extra ounces for 34 mm rings over 30mm rings. I highly recommend you go to a store and actually hold the scope in your hands. Even compare it to an NXS. It really performs, but it's heavy.

Just understand that it's a 38 ounce scope. And then a couple extra ounces for 34 mm rings over 30mm rings. I highly recommend you go to a store and actually hold the scope in your hands. Even compare it to an NXS. It really performs, but it's heavy.

The first impression I had was thinking I could beat one of my MARK 4's to death with it.
Second, when I had the rings, and every thing ready for attaching it to the rifle, it looked like a plumbing project. Third, you notice the added weight of the rifle. Fourth at the range I noticed it was a huge step up from the MARK 4. Five in the field this thing is awesome. Six how can I get another one.

The ATACR is a great scope. But the regular NXS is by no means a slouch. I am currently trying selling a 5.5-22x56 NXS but not because its junk. Just to fund a project that will probably get a razor gen2.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.