Scope buying advice up to 1200$

Ftothfadd

Hi guys,

I'm new here but that does not stop me from having a pretty good idea what I would like to have. I just do not know which brand offers most of these features under 1200$. I'm looking for something 4ish low end to 15ish high end magnification with 50 or 56mm objective on a 30mm tube. The list of features are in order of importance:
-optical quality
-uncapped elevation turret (with capped, low windage turret ideally)with great tracking
-some form of ballistic reticle
- ideally in the first focal plane
-ideally iluminated in the center
-excellent warranty
So far considerations are:
Nightforce SHV (hov is the elevation turret on it, or can you get custom turrets?), meopta meopro RD, vortex viper PST.

ANyone with first hand experience with above riflescopes? Any other suggestions?
It goes on a 300 WBY.
Thanks, Ferenc

I have a viper pst that I absolutely love but if I was going to purchase a new scope today I would order a vortex-razor-hd from eurooptic.com since they are running a close out deal for $1349. You can't go wrong with any of your choices but more for the money is always good.

Hi guys,

I'm new here but that does not stop me from having a pretty good idea what I would like to have. I just do not know which brand offers most of these features under 1200$. I'm looking for something 4ish low end to 15ish high end magnification with 50 or 56mm objective on a 30mm tube. The list of features are in order of importance:
-optical quality
-uncapped elevation turret (with capped, low windage turret ideally)with great tracking
-some form of ballistic reticle
- ideally in the first focal plane
-ideally iluminated in the center
-excellent warranty
So far considerations are:
Nightforce SHV (hov is the elevation turret on it, or can you get custom turrets?), meopta meopro RD, vortex viper PST.

ANyone with first hand experience with above riflescopes? Any other suggestions?
It goes on a 300 WBY.
Thanks, Ferenc

Im shooting a Nightforce SHV on my Tikka now. I've been shooting the scope since January and I like it. Same glass as the NXS just doesn't go through all the QC steps. I would get in touch with Kenton on the turrets. The resolution on the SHV is what stands out to me.

Optically the Meopta rifle scopes are going to be superior to the scopes listed in terms of low light performance due to them coating for the 450 nm range of the light spectrum. Thats where all of your blue/green/violet light resides. They won't have an MOA or MIL base offering in their 3-12 Meostar in terms of a reticle, but Kenton does make a turret. The new 2.5-15x56 is awesome.

The Vortex PST rifle scopes aren't a bad scope. With all of the features they cram into that thing at the price point that it is sold at its a solid piece with a decent optical system. I see a lot of comments on the interwebs about their customer service which could be a good or bad thing. I would question why so many scopes are going back, but I do consider myself a pessimist.

In the end I guess I would ask myself what is more important.
-If I want the best lowlight performance I would go Meopta with a Kenton turret.
-If I am more concerned with resolution and contrast and I want an MOA/MIL reticle I would go with the SHV

I'd look at the
Vortex 4x16x50 xlr at 900 it leaves you some more room for bullets and powder and is an excellent scope for the coin.

Jordan@406

^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. I don't have the xlr, but I do have the HSLR with the Dead Hold reticle and I am pretty impressed with how well it tracks for such a value oriented optic. The glass on them may not be as clear, but I have had absolutely zero problems shooting with mine in legal shooting light conditions. I am also able to easily track targets in much lower light scenarios.

The xlr sports the same glass as a pst and with the 2b ffp reticle and capped windage it's an awesome hunting scope. We personally run everything from the hst to the gen 2 razors and the xlr holds its own in a super line up.

Jordan@406

Thanks everyone, this is very informative. As of right now I'm leaning towards the shv but the capped elevation turret is a bit of an issue. I do not think kenton outdoors offers custom turret for the shv....
I am rather unfamiliar with the vortex brand but will,look,into the suggested models.
Please keep your opinions coming, ferenc

I have to recommend the Sightron SIII 6-24. The glass is superior to both my Nightforce NSX and Vortex Viper. The turrets have a pronounced click, are perfectly sized and the reticle is really neat. In the near future, I plan to put the SIII 10-50 on a 338 Lapua build that only lacks a scope.

I have Sightron III 10-50x60 with the illuminated reticle.

It is an amazing scope for that price. Check at opticsplanet website.
The optics is crispy clear. Love the crosshair, and it is perfect with the illuminated red light.

Remember it is bang for the buck.

Thanks everyone! Will look into sightron. As of right now it is btw the nightforce SHV (ok glass, nice illumination, great tracking, but 2nd focal plane reticle, elevation turret is unexposed) vs vortex viper HSLR FFP XLR (great warranty, FFP., zero stopped exposed elevation and capped wind age turret, but no lighted reticle, I do not know well they track).
Further opinions?

I'm a fan of the Vortex PSTs. They're not much different than the HS LR scopes other than exposed windage turret and reticle configuration/illumination. And they come in a FFP if that's your preference. Great glass, very reasonable price and unbeatable warranty.

Soo,

I went today to the local Cabelas, and looked at the nightforce and the vortex. Well, my choice has not gotten any easier. The elevation turret adjustment on the vortex feels actually better than the nightforce. I think it has the most positive tactile feeling I have ever had in any riflescopes including a few NF NXS... So that would spell vortex to me... But, and this is a bit subjective, the glass and view through the nightforce is crisper and lighter. So I'm back to square one... In fact I got desperate and looked at a couple of the NXSs but they are I think a bit on the bulky side for my taste for a hunting rifle which actually carried quite a bit...
Anybody knows snitching about meopta meostars? Their glass and tracking? Any additional info on the NF vs. Vortex debate?
Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.