Adj. Butt Plate ???

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by K-HILL, Mar 21, 2015.

1. K-HILL

K-HILL Well-Known Member

Just getting into this type of shooting. Have mounted and leveled my scope but having a tough time shouldering the rifle and having good contact in the shoulder pocket and keeping the reticle level. Would a adj. butt plate like shotgun shooters use be a reasonable
    idea for a fix?
    Thanks

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

An adjustable Butt plate is always an asset if shooting different positions or in a case where the stock doesn't fit well.

Canting the rifle is a common problem and the adjustable but plate can be one of the solutions.

You may have to cut a little off the butt stock to get the full range of adjustments but it is a nice addition and you will never regret installing one.

J E CUSTOM

3. K-HILL

K-HILL Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. It made sense to me but had never seen one on a rifle or even anyone speak of such a thing

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

In Position shooting,(Standing, siting and prone) it is almost a necessity because of the length of pull requirements for each position. I set my length of pull at 13.5" for standing and 14" for siting
    and then extend to 15.5 for prone to keep the site/scope away from my eye.
    I also cock the but plate to fit my shoulder and keep the canting down.

If you have High sites/scopes an adjustable cheek piece will also make a huge difference in your accuracy because it positions your shooting eye in the same place every time.

J E CUSTOM

5. K-HILL

K-HILL Well-Known Member

I don't have high sites/scope but I have found a stick on comb which turns a rifle stock into a level cheek position and it just happens to be the right height.