ADG Brass quality issues?

Thanks for the reply back. From what I had read in a lot of the reviews, people raved about it but never said anything about prep work or anything else. This makes me feel a lot better reading what's been posted. Thanks for the info and heads up. I'm hoping my 7 mag will like this stuff.
Prepping brass is always the first step.
Consistent capacity, weight and neck thickness are hallmarks of ADG brass.

Guess I just chamfer automatically and inspect as well, neck size for case neck damage. Difference in length is nothing as well, the trimmer sets next to me set and ready to uniform all case lengths. Lapua, Peterson, ADG, or any other quality brass for that matter. Now large variance in weight is a bummer to say the least.....means more separate groups when weight sorting, I dislike that a lot :( (Lapua) has been excellent so far in that respect.

I too received a box of 50 pieces of ADG brass recently. It's 300 win mag and hasn't been available. I chamfered and be-burred as have others without any concern. The length varied +/- .001" for an extreme spread of .002" which I consider very good. Avg weight is 350.3 grs compared to 335.2 grs for Winchester cases. H2O volume is 3.2 grs less in ADG cases coming in at 89.7grs. The volume was calculated in cases necked down to 7mm and fireformed. Necking it down it was butter smooth. No losses and no donut. I'm pleased and will purchase much more as it's available.
What did you neck it down to? I've got to make some brass for a 7-300 and just got 100 pieces of 300wm in. it'll be my first time knocking down so trying to determine if I want to do it in three steps or 4 steps.

Chamfering, deburring, and trimming doesn't kill me to do. I'd rather have heavy duty, consistent brass that needs 15-20 minutes of prep than soft brass that's perfect out of the box. I've never used ADG yet, but when all I hear is positive things about it from trusted members on here and other sites then I'm going to believe it's good stuff. When a product is hit and miss or junk you'll know it.

I was looking forward to my first delivery of ADG brass today after reading tons of reviews about them and how people love it. Sure enough, the mailman dropped it off and I was eager to see my new stuff. However, I was disappointed with what arrived. I went through and inspected all 50 pieces weighing, and measuring each one. Out of all the pieces, the overall lengths were the most consistent between the 50 pieces, followed by weight and then the chamfering and de-burring that needed to be done to each case.
Overall lengths were within .005 and the weight was within 5 grains. Not exactly what I was expecting after reading the reviews from multiple websites. However, the most annoying thing was having to chamfer and de-burr each piece. Some of the pieces were so bad it was visible to my blind eye and confirmed by running my fingers over the case mouth.

Maybe I'm being too critical of what I got but I've used other brass manufacturers for other projects and haven't had to put the leg work in like I did with these.
Has anyone else had issues with ADG?
What cartridge is this that you're comparing. If you're saying that the weights are +/- 2.5gr (5gr total variation) that's pretty decent for something like a belted magnum. The last lot of cheap bulk brass I dealt with varied +/- 10gr (20gr total variation)

What did you neck it down to? I've got to make some brass for a 7-300 and just got 100 pieces of 300wm in. it'll be my first time knocking down so trying to determine if I want to do it in three steps or 4 steps.
7mm Practical so basically the same thing. It was a one step process. I FL sized with the included expander removed and finish sized with a PMA carbide expander mandrel. Outside the neck was lubed with Imperial wax and the inside was lubed with Imperial Dry Neck Lube. Like I said before it was as smooth as butter. The annealing on this brass is spot on.
After chamfering I twist the end of the neck in 0000 steel wool to "polish" the cut. Under a 20X loop it shows the difference. Good luck and happy sizing.

I've had pretty good luck with Nosler brass in my 7 mag. Nosler's brass is chamfered/deburred and, from what I've heard, primer flash holes are uniformed too. This is for my hunting rifle (Ruger M77) that usually shoots inside 5 or 600 yards, and it's always done well by me.

Great brass. I found very little weight consistency issues and they maintain accuracy. This is my 4th firing on 6.5 PRC brass

I've had pretty good luck with Nosler brass in my 7 mag. Nosler's brass is chamfered/deburred and, from what I've heard, primer flash holes are uniformed too. This is for my hunting rifle (Ruger M77) that usually shoots inside 5 or 600 yards, and it's always done well by me.

Me too; I use it in Lapua, Edge, 28N and 300 RUM. Primer pockets stay tight and weight is incredibly uniform - best of any brand I have checked including Lapua.

I am really picky and a bit "anal" about y brass. I loved my ADG brass as well as my Lapua. My calibers, 338 LM, 6.5 CR .308 all were really nice pieces. Yes, I always do my own prep for any brass I procure. I have 1 caliber that I really like that neither of these brass manufactures make, 224 Valkyrie. Would I like to see this from ADG, Peterson, or Lapua? you bet but I won't hold my breath.

I've been buying ADG for my 7mag since they started producing it. I always fully prep any new brass before I use it but never noticed any issues.
Weight and neck thickness consistency have always been stellar and primer pockets hold up waaay loner than the Winchester brass Id been using.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts